My Kind Of Feminism

My Kind Of Feminism

“Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs” –Proverbs 10:12

8
My Kind Of Feminism
Wynne Bracewell

I attended our local Distinguished Young Women program a few nights ago. A few of us girls that were participants last year arrived early to decorate the girls’ dressing rooms with balloons and encouraging words. Once the program began, the entire theatre was filled with the cheers and applause of girls that were past participants and girls that were supportive friends. The girls on stage possessed confidence and beauty and a willingness to put themselves out there, and the girls in the crowd shouted their names and screamed and encouraged them to be their best selves, and I thought “This is feminism to me."

Actions, whether they are taking a political stand, speaking out for what one believes, or anything else that one does to bring about change, mean nothing without heart. The core of all of our actions, the driving force should be love. And if love is not what moves us, we should reevaluate. Love is not about me, but what I can do for others.

I am not a victim. I am here to support those who are.

I am not a victim. I do not need help. As I woman that believes in my own self-worth, I know that I am capable and valuable.

I am not a victim. And I am tired of women telling me that I am.

I am not without flaw. As a woman who believes in my own self-worth, I know that I should always strive for self-improvement.

I am not without flaw. However, others’ victories are not my failures. I should celebrate the success of my friends, male or female.

I am not without flaw. Every single person, not just men, not just women, should be held accountable for actions.

I am not without flaw. I must recognize my own strengths and weaknesses.

An empowered woman is one who recognizes that others have strength where she has weakness.

An empowered woman uses the talents and strengths she has to accomplish her goals.

An empowered woman is one who is secure enough to allow others to complete tasks that they can do better than her.

An empowered woman celebrates and respects the different viewpoints and beliefs of all women while firmly holding on to her own personal values.

An empowered woman is one who is able to empower others- men, or women, or children.

I don’t believe in fighting others. Rather, I believe in lifting others up.

That is feminism to me.