Meeting The Parents: 3 Things To Keep In Mind So You Don't Lose It

Taking that step is often scary, but it doesn't have to be.

1
https://www.bridestory.com/blog/the-dos-and-donts-of-meeting-the-parents
via ladyfame

Relationships are awesome, but they can also be a little scary at first. Getting used to someone new, let alone their family and friends, can be a little overwhelming. That being said, it happens and once you get through it you'll feel much better. You'll feel closer to your significant other and have a better understanding of why they are the way that they are. You'll be more relaxed if you get invited to family events, and you'll get to know the people that are important to someone who is important to you. Here are three things you should keep in mind when you meet your SO's family.

Ease into it.

It's okay to wait until you feel fully prepared. It's also okay to be nervous. That's to be expected, and there's like a 99% chance that they are nervous too. Their baby is grown up and found someone special enough to introduce them to (that's you!!) and it might be just as big, if not bigger, of a deal for them. It's okay to feel uneasy and unsure, but that's what your significant other is there for! They're close with you and (most likely) with their parents, so they can act as a buffer and keep both sides relaxed and moving forward.

Actually engage in conversation.

In any first meeting, it is important to actually be a part of the environment in which you are in. Usually when you are meeting your significant other's parents for the first time, you'll sort of be the center of attention. As someone who doesn't like eye contact or talking about myself, this is not my favorite. That being said, it's not good to hang back and try to hide yourself from the spotlight or conversation. Be active! It will honestly help you relax so much faster, and will help you connect in a way that wouldn't happen if you just stayed on the sidelines and let your SO talk the whole time.

It is okay to be yourself. 

Your significant other's parents aren't going to hate you for being yourself–unless you're a seriously unpleasant person. Be respectful and kind, but most importantly be yourself. It is fairly easy to tell when someone is being fake or putting on an act, and that is definitely not the kind of first impression you want to leave on the family of someone so important to you. This goes in any situation, but they want to get to know the real you. They want to know who their child thought special enough to introduce them to. Be yourself, I promise you won't regret it.