Kids In Museums

Kids In Museums

They're Pretty Much Weird Wherever They Go
68

Now that it's almost summer for most elementary, middle, and high school students it is time to discuss the humorous things children do when they visit museums. Specifically older elementary school students, like third or fourth grade. There are lots of types of museums (some more hands-on and kid-friendly than others) and there are different kinds of rules in each depending on how they cater to kids.

I bet you remember your field trips and the beauty of traveling to another place for a few hours instead of sitting in a hot, boring school. No matter where they come from, each group of kids has a certain set of quirks that seems to be universal despite varied home locations. You get used to it after a while, but that doesn't mean it isn't charming.

Here's what a typical museum trip looks like for kids:

1. Arriving looks like this:

A stampede off the bus/es with the teachers trying to wrangle their classes.

2. Then there's this kid:

Please...just...stay....still.....

3. After speaking to them two or more times, the chaperone is like:

They've quite clearly given up and will not bother for the rest of the trip...even though it just started.

4. Trying to split them into groups:

A group here, B group there, C group there... please

5. Waiting for them to quiet down so you can introduce yourself:

And then you give up, ignoring the one kid who is talking while you're talking.

6. Giving an overview of what the tour is going to be and the kids are like:

"We could not care less about colonial architecture, we just are glad to be out of school"

7. Having kids guess at what different objects or artifacts might be:

Though sometimes they come up with pretty humorous guesses

8. Asking them to back away from a precious object:

THAT IS MORE THAN 200 YEARS OLD AND I WOULD LIKE YOU TO TAKE A STEP BACK.

9. Asking them to stop touching:

I will tell you what you're allowed to touch!

10. "Can I touch this?":

I literally just told you to stop.

11. When they're taking pictures of you talking (if able to do so at the museum):

Okay, you're probably catching a lot of weird faces right now

12. When they're taking videos of you talking:

NO. My voice sounds so weird.

13. This kid:

And then you have to repeat or re-explain what you just said.

14. "When is lunch?"

15. Nearing the end of the tour and they all look like this:

Or this:

16. Finally finishing and they're allowed to eat:

Probably going to eat Gene's lettuce suit.

17. But eating lunch kind of looks like this:

They always make a huge mess (ノಥ,_」ಥ)ノ彡┻━┻

18: Cleaning up:

TAKES A SOLID HALF HOUR.

19. And they board their buses to leave:

20. Blessed relief now that they're gone:

Despite the crazy things kids do on their museum field trips, they always provide laughs and entertainment. Yay for kids!