Kid Rock's Might Just Be Your Next Senator
Politics

A ramble about my feelings toward him and the campaign.

10
Cowboys and Indians Magazine

Within the past couple of weeks, Kid Rock has announced his intentions to run for the U.S. Senate, and if I'm not mistaken, he would be representing Michigan, his home state. Because he'll be representing a state far away from me, I am stripped of the dilemma of whether or not to vote for him, and the reason I would be urged to vote for him is fairly shallow. I'm somewhat of a fan of the Kid.

When I was in eighth grade, I gradually became a pretty serious fan of Kid Rock after purchasing "Rock N' Roll Jesus" with money I made from mowing lawns. All I had ever heard from Kid Rock was his trademark song at the time, "All Summer Long," and someone else had clued me into one of his first hits, "Cowboy." I just loved the album. Up until that point, it was important for me to have a favorite something because I was at the age where my identity was subconsciously becoming important to me.

Up until that point, my favorites had been somewhat unmemorable simply because of their huge success. Namely, KISSwas my favorite artist and being a band whose career spans almost fifty years, you've got to imagine how large KISS's mass of fans must be. Kid Rock, however, was different. He was fairly successful, but as many fans, as he must have, I would have to say that nowhere near as many people would consider him to be their favorite artist. So, there's more nostalgia between me and Kid Rock because he's not quite as popular as other artists in my previous favorite artists.

Now, I realize that you may have drawn a picture in your head with regards to my musical tastes. You might assume that my other favorite artists might be Nickelback, Eric Church, Florida Georgia Line...maybe Uncle Kraker? Does he even exist, anymore? Well, some of my other favorite artists are actually artists such as Joy Division, The Flaming Lips, PJ Harvey, and Led Zeppelin.

That being said, I'm not asserting that Kid Rock is junk food to me. I genuinely perceive much of his music to be very enjoyable and interesting. Sure, many of his hits have borrowed and imitated such as "All Summer Long," but he's inserted some interesting, anthemic spins, and much of his music is composed of original music. Plus, he's proved himself to be a showman.

Even if much of his image does not originate from a genuine place, including lyrics such as "I ain't straight out of Compton, I'm straight out the trailer," despite growing up in a well-above upper-middle class home, I can still support a person identifying more with a culture other than the one they were born into. Kid Rock, despite originating from Michigan, simply identifies with Southern culture more so, and being a Tennessee boy, I can totally respect that. What I don't respect, is his attempt to sympathize and romanticize white trash, trailer-park culture, which is most evident in his brand new single, "Podunk," and no, I have not downloaded it because I simply do not like it.

And that brings us full circle back to Kid Rock's run for U.S. Senate.

I can't vote for Kid Rock anyway, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that I would. I've never voted for Senate, and, despite the contentious current political climate, I often find myself throwing my hands up in confusion because I have no passion for politics, and it is so much more complicated than anyone realizes.

The truth is, Kid Rock is a celebrity, and it's somewhat of a Trump effect in the fact that a popular celebrity runs for office and wins with the momentum of a non-political career. Some see this as a positive aspect of Trump's effect on the political climate, perceiving an "anyone could possess the qualities required to run a country."

Others, however, sincerely despise this, perceiving celebrities, who are more popular than actual politicians, as using their fame to take hold of the political offices. I can see the argument boasted by both sides. So, my opinion on Kid Rock's possible campaign for the senate is genuine and honest. I can't vote for him, anyway, I understand why there is a backlash towards his run, and I understand why voters who identify with his party, the Republican party, might be opposed to or in support of him running.

Either way, I genuinely love his music, and I love the Kid, either way.