Facing hardship and knowing your story is not over yet

Learning To Kick Down Your 'Walls'

"There's no wall you can't kick down, lie you can't tear down, coming after me." -Cory Asbury

33
https://www.pexels.com/photo/rear-view-of-woman-with-arms-raised-at-beach-during-sunset-320007/

Think about your worst day ever.

It may not have started out so bad. Maybe you had on a cute blouse but you spilled coffee on it so you had to change. Annoying, but not the end of the world. Then you get in the car and drive to work, only to have the gas light flicker on. You panic for a minute thinking about your finances. Again, annoying, but not the end of the world. But then the day drags on. You're bored, irritable, and that's when the thoughts creep in. The thoughts about how you wish you were ten pounds lighter. The thoughts about how the money will be tight until the next paycheck rolls in. The thoughts about your ex and why you broke up. Suddenly your annoying day turns into a bad day, and if you let that fester, it turns into a bad mood that lasts.

If you are human, you have faced these exact problems or ones that are much, much worse. You have probably experienced stress, anxiety, and depression. You have probably felt like everything bad just piles up to a point where all you want is a break. It is so easy to get caught up on what's going "wrong" in our lives. And sometimes you are justified to be caught up. But the issue is when you lose faith that there is light at the end of the tunnel. As humans, especially in our technology-driven world, we have a tendency to look at other people and want what they have. You see that "perfect" person- their parents have been married for 40+ years, they have yet to have a death in their family, they're most likely attractive and their teeth are perfectly white. You then look at yourself, and can only see one thing: you are not them. "Why does everything bad happen to me"?

That last question is what I asked myself all summer.

It's so dramatic. If I sat down and thought about all the good I have in my life, it would've been a lot easier to squash all those negative thoughts. My bad mood wouldn't have lasted for three months. Because that's just it, I have a LOT of good in my life! But when you get to that low place, it is almost impossible to see the positives in life. And that's what makes that wall. The wall that seems impossible to kick down. But I can promise you, you can kick down those walls.

God will kick down those walls.

A very popular song on K-Love right now is Reckless Love by Cory Asbury. This is the song that I listened to all summer that reminded me that no matter how tough I think those walls are, they can be kicked down. God is loving you and working on you no matter what state you are in. I may have had a bad summer, but I will not allow it to turn into a bad life. I have been blessed by friends and family who stuck by my side throughout this low point. That's the best way to get out of that low. And on top of that, trusting that God is kicking down those walls even as they're being built. No matter what you are facing, know that your story is not over. For every bad day you experience, there will be ten times that of good days.

Romans 8:35-39