Keys To Degrees Program At Endicott College

Creating opportunities and supporting education.

357
Instagram

Not only is Endicott College the home of beautiful beaches and a beautiful campus, but it is also a unique school that offers a program for young moms to live on campus with their children so they can have the opportunity to receive a college education. The program is open to any single male or female parent, between the ages 18-24, and who is the parent of one child. Currently, on campus, there are six amazing moms with their children. The kids range from ages 1-6 years old and there are both boys and girls. Most of the moms and their children live with another mother and child in a suite with a kitchen in Bayview Hall. It is such an amazing opportunity for these parents that they can have their children at school with them and not have to worry about not being able to get a college degree.

This year I became a babysitter for the moms. This is one of the work-study opportunities for the Endicott students although you do not have to necessarily qualify for work study in order to become a sitter. Just like any babysitting job, a mom will contact you with hours they need you and the school pays you for it. It is a great experience for the moms, kids, and babysitters to make new friends and more connections on campus. Although the mothers receive financial help, they are required to complete certain tasks as a requirement for the program. They are required to take a skills and service learning course as well as complete three community events. Since most of the children are school-aged, the programs also help the mothers enroll their child in a daycare or school. This is a powerful program that helps both mothers and their children receive an education.

The mothers come from all over the United States. Some are local to Massachusetts and the New England area but two mothers are from Indiana and Pennsylvania. It truly feels like a family for these mothers and their children, and I have even heard two boys refer to themselves as brothers. I am so fortunate to be given the opportunity to babysit these kids and become close to them and their mothers. I always look forward to seeing the kids and spending time with them. And quite frankly, they are all just adorable.

If anyone, no matter where they may be from, finds themselves to be in this situation I highly encourage you to look into Endicott and the Keys to Degrees program. It is a great opportunity for people to connect with other people that are in similar situations and have a common ground. As they say, it takes a village to raise a child and these ladies certainly have one they can depend on.

Best of luck to all of the moms that will be graduating this year and may the rest of them have a successful semester!