11 Steps of Writing A Final Paper As Told By Kevin Malone

Unfortunately we can't lie on the beach and eat hot dogs just yet...

57
NBC The Office

Finals are coming up, and by coming up I mean basically already here. This weekend three out of four of my classes assigned either outlines or papers, and unsurprisingly I'm so overwhelmed, stressed and exhausted. During my procrastination breaks, I needed to watch some comforting, hilarious scenes of The Office to distract me. In doing so, I realized that Kevin Malone perfectly sums up the experience of writing and editing a final paper.

1. When your professor casually assigns a detailed outline and annotated bibliography due for next class for the final paper, which isn't due until 2 weeks from now.

2. And your professor provides minimal details of her expectations for that outline/ annotated bibliography, so you don't know what she wants from you...

Yup, I'm screwed.

3. So you of course leave the annotations and bibliography for the last minute, knowing fully well that it will take a lot of brain power, energy, and effort.

4. By the time you finally start your research and writing, you need a break. A long, relaxing break.

5. You text your best friends and let them know that you absolutely hate this assignment, begging them to go to the beach with you even though summer isn't here yet.

6. But finally after at least an hour (oftentimes more), you take a deep breath and attempt to get back on track to make progress on your essay.

7. And you find yourself writing down every important word you can find in your secondary sources, so your professor knows you did good research...

Too bad you don't remember what you read or noted.

8. After hours (who am I kidding, days) of a combination of procrastinating and getting work done, you actually finish your outline and citations.

9. Then, a week later, you get your professor's notes back and you see she recommends you "rethink what you're arguing".

10. You decide to ignore that comment, though, and write what you spent days preparing in your outline.

11. And by the time you have to submit your final paper, you just pray for the best - for all your hard work to pay off.