We Must Keep A Positive Outlook While In A Dire Time

When life is thrown at you, it's important to keep your head high.

20
The Huffington Post

We all know how it can be to feel completely drained of life. It feels like you can't move past whatever situation you're in and it can be really rough. The struggle is so real with this one, let me tell you. I've been alive for 20 years now and have been through several ups and downs and I want to share what I've learned on keeping a positive outlook on life, especially when it can get you down.

The most important thing is to keep telling yourself that everything will be okay. It's a little cheesy, I know, but it's ultimately the truth. There are so many little things to stress about in the moment, but just know that they will all seem like nothing further down the road. Every twist and turn that you go through is what makes you, you. You are your own sculptor of who you are and who you will be. Isn't that cool?

With all the college hustle and stress loads, it can be really vigorous to see past the stack of books and homework sitting on your desk and look ahead into the future. Remember that everyone here in college is in the same boat as you are. We are all looking to get that good GPA and keep on top of our studies and we all know how tedious that can be.

During these times, it's so important to just breathe and know that your hard work is going to pay off eventually. Something that has really helped me is to take small breaks throughout your studies. Listen to music, take a snack break, draw a picture, go for a run, or have a dance party (even if you're by yourself!) Allowing yourself little bits and pieces of freedom will set your mind free and give you more energy to finish your tasks in the long run.

Now that we've covered the stress of school, we can move on to problems that may pop up in your home life that can really be a drag to your overall happiness. I've been through some really tough obstacles in my life and I can say that the most important thing is to be as optimistic as you possibly can, even when you feel like giving up. The way I see it, everything can be dealt with in one of two ways; with an open mind or with a closed one. Honestly, you might as well deal with it with an open and optimistic mind because it will have so many more positive benefits to reap. I had a boss tell me once, "Life can really stab you in the back sometimes, but it's so important to just deal with the wound head-on and heal it as best you can." That really stuck with me. Life is basically a roller coaster filled with ups and downs, but once you get to the ups the downs were so worth going through. I am now the happiest and healthiest I've ever been and it's all because I was optimistic through the bad times. It's important to surround yourself with good friends and a supportive family to keep you positive.

On that note, be like Obama and take on the day with a smile on your face!