Why Keeping Up With The News Is Important

Whether you are watching or reading, make yourself an informed citizen.

19176
Flickr

Social media is an amazing piece of technology. It allows us to stay up to date with our friends, family, and also current events. Many people rely totally on social media to receive their information on the news. The problem with this is that many links that are shared on social media are completely biased or even not true at all.

While reading the newspaper is a great way to get the current day’s news, it is not always a feasible option for many of us “on-the-go” individuals. Technology allows us to stay up to date on every trend, celebrity, and event. Watching the news is something that more people should do as well as reading a newspaper.

News channels allow us to stay up to date on local and national news. If you don’t want a biased source of media, which is perfectly fine to look at (I enjoy watching FOX News even though I know it is conservatively biased), then channel six is a good option on how to learn about the news. They start early in the morning and go late into the night. Your news channel will most likely have an app as well, so you can stay up to date with the news from a valuable source while you are out and about. They also focus on local news while also talking about national issues.

Sometimes people forget about the places around them. I feel like many individuals are interested in what is happening in the United States as a whole and what is going on elsewhere in the world. Of course this is all important, but it is also extremely important to focus on local issues. This is where you are living and they are the issues that are most closely related to you, whether you believe it or not.

Keeping up with the news is important because of the issues that are present in this day in age. Social media talks about what is happening with the Kardashians or drama between two celebrities, but I rarely find information on social media that talks about important issues in today’s world. It is important to stay up to date with current events so you can be an informed citizen. Learning about the news opens up your mind to everything that is happening. You can find out about how different somebody’s life is compared to yours in another part of your state, country, or world.

Without the news, we would only receive information from the activities happening in close quarters to us. It is important to realize what is going on in any part of the world because, believe it or not, this still affects us. Mass shootings, political wars, and more make us feel something inside of us. News opens our eyes to the horrors in the world but also the good that is happening in the world. Keeping up with the news makes us informed on the world around us, making us more intelligent and also giving us an opinion on certain issues.