My New Years Resolution Was To Be More Positive
Wellbeing

My New Years Resolution Was To Be More Positive, And Here Is An Update 6 Months Later

After all, life is short.

95
Noah Brown

Picture this: the year 2017 is quickly coming to a close, and everyone is thinking of ways to improve on themselves in the new coming year. A new year, to some, is a fresh start. To others, it is a way to get back into a routine or try new things. Some of my friends made resolutions to make their bed every day, to stop drinking pop, or even to lose weight, but no matter how hard I thought, I just could not for the life of me think of a good one.

Then it hit me, my whole life I had been viewed by some as someone with a "bad attitude" or "pessimistic outlook on life," even if those close to me did not agree. I mean, not to discredit those opinions though, because looking back now I would have to agree, but having bad things happen to you like your parents splitting when you were three or your dad passing away during your first year away at college are not good enough reasons to waste away in negativity and bitterness. Not to discredit either of those things though, because truly they both sucked.

2018 to me was a new time, it was a ~fresh start~ but on a different level than those around me, in my opinion. My 2018 New Years resolution was to get rid of bitterness, pettiness, and negativity in my everyday life. At first, like breaking many habits, it was hard. I caught myself having thoughts that a high schooler might have in the midst of all their teen angst and adolescent drama, but I had to learn to quickly put those things to an end. Then, after a while, it just became second nature.

Not only were those around me taking notice to my new behaviors but also, I noticed differences too. I began waking up for my 8 a.m. classes actually looking forward to the whole day ahead and ended every day on a good note. This new lifestyle was a whole new world for me, and I was seeing changes all around me, and I wanted to share it with everyone! So, as any millennial would, I took to Twitter. At the end of each month, I would tweet four pictures that helped me to embrace the positive things, and truly be ~new me~ and here they all are:

January

Noah Brown

First month was cake: A trip to 149 with my roomie, a new hamster (rip, Scarlet JoHAMsson), audition to be a campus tour guide, and my best friend. 1 of 12 ✅

February

Noah Brown

Chess at my favorite coffee shop, a new tattoo (peep the cover photo), Math Camp with the Chief, and selling pizza FTK. 2 of 12 ✅

March

Noah Brown

A reunion with a great friend, a new car, St. Patricks Day with my roommate, and my Math Camp Monito apprenticing under me. 3 of 12 ✅

April

Noah Brown

Raising over $2,000 For The Kids at BGSU Dance Marathon, flying kites on campus, slides with my Monito, and my favorite coffee shop with my roommate. 4 of 12 ✅

May

Noah Brown

The BEST trip of my life to Oklahoma City with some of the most passionate people I have ever met, Miranda and I's kids at Math Camp, me and my Monito on rollercoasters, and again 149 with my roommate and Marissa. 5 of 12 ✅

June

Noah Brown

My ~first~ pride month as an out young man, and finding some new hangouts with my roommate. 6 of 12 ✅

P.S., Emily and I spent a lot of time together this month, okay.

With the end of July quickly approaching, I look forward to searching through all of my photos from the last month to find which ones truly brought me the most happiness, and I can't wait to share them with my peers. Recognizing the people and things in life that bring you joy is important, and stopping to reflect on better uses of your time rather than sulking in negativity makes all the difference. The past six months have made me a better person, and I think it shows to those around me. More importantly, I am eagerly awaiting to see what the next six months have in store for me. To quote one of my favorite movies:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"