Keeping Art Alive

Keeping Art Alive

Why the Arts are important

84
Keeping Art Alive
Francois-Joseph Navez (original artist)

Yesterday, I went to New York City. I’ve been to this city many times before, it has almost become an annual thing for me. I went with an English class that was going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Onassis Center to help with an upcoming project. It had been opened up to all English majors and I had decided I wanted to go. I mean, how could I not want to go to New York for the day and go to this famous museum? That’s definitely something I don’t think anyone should pass up. I had never been to any kind of big museum before besides the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

Once we got off the bus, I was standing in front of the giant stairs that led up to The Met. We walked in as a group and started to make our way through Greek and Roman art. I was so excited to see the many sculptures from this time period because I am a HUGE fan of Greek and Roman mythology, It’s one of my favorite things to learn and read about. At one point, I had come across a beautiful sculpture of Athena, my favorite Greek Goddess. I was taken back by its beauty. I continued to see more of Athena and couldn’t believe some of the detail in these clay pots, statues, and marble tablets. I saw the infamous statue of Perseus holding Medusa’s head. I also saw many amazing ones of Hercules.

We continued to make our way through European Art and got to the paintings of this area. The moment I walked into this hall, I stopped in my tracks. One particular painting caught my attention, The painting “Massacre of the Innocents” by Francois-Joseph Navez stood out to me. I saw it as I walked with my group and it was a quick glance. We continued to look through and I was determined to go back and find this painting. And then I walked through a different section and found it, I stood in absolute shock. This painting felt so unreal, It looked so life like. The tears on the one woman looked so real, almost wet like a real tear would be. The fear in the child’s face is so prominent. And in the corner, you see the “massacre” part of this painting. It was just absolutely stunning. I didn’t know how to react. I just stood there and stared at it, trying to comprehend what I was feeling. I was very silent while looking at a lot of these paintings.

I never thought in my entire life, that I would see Vincent Van Gogh’s self-portrait, one of his most popular paintings, and so many more Van Gogh paintings. I was in utter shock. Speechless is an understatement for me in this experience. I could see the brush strokes and the mix of colors in the paintings. They were all there, in front of me. And then I saw Edouard Manet and Claude Monet paintings. I stood in front of his water lilies and had to remember how to breathe. I continuously had to catch my breath whenever I saw a famous painting that I had only ever heard about.

And then I realized something. When I first ever started to learn about art, I remember being immediately drawn to Edgar Degas. I loved his story. I loved that his main focus would be dancers because I myself used to be a dancer. So, I grabbed my map and found his name. I then went through tons of different hallways, trying to find Edgar Degas. And low and behold, I found myself walking up to Degas statue of the fourteen-year-old dancer. And that was the moment that I almost cried. I had always loved his work and dreamt about seeing that particular statue because it is one of his most famous pieces. And here I was, just a normal girl, standing in front of one of the pieces that inspired me as a young adult. I was shocked, I was happy, I was feeling everything at once.

You may be thinking, why am I telling you all about this trip and these pieces of art that I saw and experienced? Well, here’s my point. Art is important. I cannot stress this enough. Any kind of art, whether it being paintings, sculptures, architecture, music, theatre, and everything else in that category, is IMPORTANT to this world. That day will be a day that I will never forget. I had felt so many things that I didn’t know I could experience from just looking at art. I have always had an appreciation for the arts because I have been involved in music all my life, and I work at a pottery and art studio. It is a constant in my life that has always brought light to my world. I have met and known so many wonderful and talented people because of the arts. Art makes you feel something, It gives you a sense of life and a sense of expression.

If you’re reading this, and your school is trying to take away your art, fight and show them this. If you have an art program, but it could use some work, help. If you have a great art program, continue to support it. Fight for your right of expression. Show the world what art means to you. Tell someone to go walk around a museum. Tell them to walk around paintings until they find one that is interesting to them, and then tell them to just look. Look at picture depicted, look at the colors, the brush strokes, everything. For five minutes. You will feel something. I promise. The arts gives the kids who are shy, a voice; the kids who have been bullied, a freedom; the kids who feel like they don’t belong, a place to be accepted. Why would anyone want to take that away?

There is so much beauty in this world. And it’s around us every day. If you want to say, eh, art isn’t my thing, then that’s okay. Art doesn’t need to be loved by everyone. But please realize that to some people out there, it is their entire being. I would not be the same person without the arts. If someone took that away from me I would be a completely different person. It has saved me. It has saved so many people. So, before any of you higher ups in the education world think about cutting your arts program, look at the kids who are in it. They are happy at putting in countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears into what they love. Take a second and think because you could be making someone’s world crash around them. Art is history, art is a way of life, and it is an escape to be whoever you want. So, keep painting, keep drawing, keep singing and dancing and creating. You’ll have a fan in me.