Keep Your Heart With The Arts

Keep Your Heart With The Arts

Take a stand.

16
Keep Your Heart With The Arts
Google

Dance, music, art. Take a step back and imagine life without a way of expressing ourselves and showing the talents we withhold. Art is beautiful. Art is something most would suffer a great deal without.

For 16 continuous years, I expressed myself through the art of dance. I let the music touch me and let my body move to the rhythm and sound of the songs. If I had a bad day, I danced. If I had a good day, I danced. I grew accustomed to the art of dance consuming me in the best way possible.

Any way you choose to express yourself is art. You want to sing a song about a breakup that tragically altered your life? That’s art. You obtain the desire to paint a picture of the elderly couple sitting side by side holding hands on the bench at the park? That’s art. We are all artists in some way.

It breaks my heart that there are individuals out there who genuinely believe that taking the arts out of the public school system would be beneficial. There are a variety of classes morphed into the curriculum that we need in order to be successful in the real world such as math, science, language arts and so on. But it should not stop there. Chorus, band, drama, dance class, art classes, public speaking, etc. I could list numerous classes currently taken by students around the world who partake in practicing a form of art through “electives”. If these forms of expression were ripped out from underneath students, as well as those who teach them, the school system would be one cruel place.

As devastating as it is, the arts are always the first to go once budget cuts are made. Yes, the arts CAN get you a career. How do you think singers and professional ballerinas got their jobs? No, they are NOT a waste of education. They teach you discipline, dedication and the drive to not give up on your dreams.

Art opens the door to endless possibilities and numerous forms of expression. It serves as a creative distraction from society and the problems we may struggle with. Today, everyone is so focused on getting that high paycheck and obtaining the best degree. That is great. Everyone should strive to be the best they can be. But it is also just as important to practice art; to step away from the bigger picture every once in a while and self-express. Art is a stress reliever, a form of relaxation and most importantly a way to show the world or even just yourself your talents.

Without the beauty of art, I picture the world to be dark. Without the beauty of art I picture all individuals to be bland. Without music, I don’t know where I would be. It has pulled me out of some dark times and enlightened me in good times. Many would feel the same about media, drawing, painting, singing and so on. Why take this away from the school system?

I hope many can stand with me on a topic that is of great importance to myself as many individuals out there. I hope you can take a stand and keep the arts in your art.

I stand for the arts, for they are what bring color and vibrancy to this world.