How To Keep Your 2017 Resolutions

How To Keep Your 2017 Resolutions

Most of us make resolutions, but few resolutions actually get kept, so what can you do?

1
How To Keep Your 2017 Resolutions

Do you remember the resolutions you made for 2016? How long did they last? If you actually kept up a resolution then you have my undying respect because almost no one does. Why not? What is the difference between a resolution that you can actually keep and one that is by February? There are a lot of them, actually, but primarily the resolutions that are kept are the ones that are SMART:

Specific: A goal to “work out more” is not specific. Instead, frame it as “I do X push-ups Y times a week” or “I walk X minutes a day, Y times a week.” For something not work-out related, you still want to be more specific. “Eat less sugar” is still vague, go for the more specific “I drink water instead of soda” or “I eat a salad after dinner instead of ice-cream.” This relates right into your goals being…

Measurable: Have a number or way of quantifying that you are succeeding. This is a lot easier for weight loss or workout regimen than habits. If you are looking to break a habit, then you can measure how many times you act on that habit in a given period of time. If, for example, you want to stop drinking as much, you can measure that by a number of drinks in a day or in a week. I, for example, limit myself to two drinks anytime I am drinking. A word of caution here in that you have to keep the measurement…

Attainable: It has to be something you can do! Where so many people go wrong is they set a goal that is impossible to reach. “I will lose 50 pounds by next month” is specific and measurable, but impossible without the application of sharp implements to remove limbs! What is possible varies from person to person, so go with what you believe is within your abilities (or what your friends believe you can do). Let's say you're trying to lose weight or get in shape. If you decide you will work out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday for 30 minutes of cardio, that is specific, measurable, and not too hard to work into your schedule. Maybe instead your goal is to be more timely with assignments. A specific and measurable way to phrase that would be having all assignments complete at least 24 hours before they are due. Most of the time, that should work pretty well. To call it attainable requires advance knowledge of all assignments, which you might not always have. Great goal overall, just be aware that it might not be entirely attainable. Of course, you might not find these examples…

Relevant: The goal has to be something you chose! If someone else has been nagging you to do X, that goal will be harder than a goal you have chosen for your own reasons. If your goal is to get a promotion because your parent(s) say you could be doing so much better for yourself, think about if that goal is something that you really want. This applies equally to losing weight, working out, eating better, drinking less, quitting smoking, etcetera. It has to come from you! Intrinsic motivation is much stronger than extrinsic, although it never hurts to be…

Time-bound: You should have some kind of time pressure for your goal, even if only self-imposed. If we revisit the example of earlier of losing 50 pounds, a month is certainly not enough time. Neither is two months. Five months is much more reasonable, and a year is certainly doable. Depending on how much time pressure works for you, go with that. If you need an immanent time pressure but have a large goal (like losing 50 pounds), break that down into smaller goals (like losing 5 pounds in a month). This is not an excuse to procrastinate! Instead, be aware of the deadlines you set for your goals, or anything you have to do for that matter.

Above all else though, whatever your resolution or broader goals are, you have to be able to fit any and all habit changes into your existing life. The more drastic the change, the harder it is to make.

Good luck everyone, and happy new year!