Keeping A Job You Hate May Negatively Affect Your Personality

Your happiness comes first.

25

I used to think my dad was just good at his job because he simply put a lot of hard work into it. I always thought his job was quite boring, so I figured he felt the same way and worked just to earn. I wanted to get him something for his birthday but had no idea what he liked.

So, to get some ideas I asked him from all the amazing presents he has ever gotten which one did he like best? He pointed toward the globe that sat on his desk.

Yes.

I realized I really did not know him that well. I also realized he actually loved his job that I thought was so boring. He was able to put hard work in his job because he put his heart into it.

I guess that is one of the reasons I became a firm believer in doing what you love. To get a job that if not all then to some extent has an element that excites you and that you are passionate about.

I grew up knowing nothing else but just that, but as high school came to a close and everybody was picking majors, I saw almost everyone I knew going after careers they had never once talked about. My friends had told me about their dreams, which were now so different from what they intended on actually doing as a career.

Career paths they called "safe and secure" but did not have a dire interest in. I understood it made sense to get an education in something with a high job prospect. They did not want to be struggling after spending so much time, money and effort in college. Avoiding unemployment is what they worked four years or more in college for.

The reason I reinforce this familiar notion of doing what you love is that I know someone who was affected by going against it. This is a person who, if we were to describe in a few words, is a "burst of serotonin."

She is a huge people person and gets all her energy from being around people. She says she does not mind working overtime in retail because she gets to interact with new people and that is what she thrives on. Her dream job would include traveling, getting to dress up super fancy and interact with a lot of people.

"I can't imagine myself being in a confined place like holding a desk job since I need to be up and about because that is my personality."

Earlier this year, she graduated from college and landed a job, but it's a desk job. She has her own cubicle and the pay is pretty decent. However, she has not been as energetic as she used to. Subtle but noticeable changes such as not dressing up fancy like she used to, she is always too tired even though working retail overtime was more physically demanding.

I asked her how her job was and she smiled; she knew exactly what I meant. She did not need to say anything because I could see before my eyes how not doing what you like can affect your personality in so little time.

I am sure she will work around it, find new activities, work her way up or even find a job where she gets to do what she has always wanted to, but this post is not about that, simply an eye-opening reminder of why we read and hear people say, "Do what makes you happy."