10 Of Karl Lagerfeld's Most Influential Looks

Rest in Peace to an icon.

125
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/02/19/chanel-karl-lagerfeld-has-died
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Karl_Lagerfeld_(14091153382)_(cropped).jpg

Karl Lagerfeld, the most iconic designer of the 21st century, recently passed away at the age of 85 in Paris. Many models, designers, editors, and people around the world knew him. He had an eye and a process of exactly what he wanted when he created certain lines.

Lagerfeld was the creative director of Chanel since 1983 and Fendi since 1965. He was also a photographer and would shoot many of the models that he would have to wear his clothes. He could also speak a few different languages. But, what many knew him for was his image: his dark glasses, white hair pulled back in a ponytail, fingerless gloves, and starched collar. I figured what better way to remember him by then look through some of his most iconic looks, runway show, and quotes.

Karl Lagerfeld's first show as the creative director of Chanel.

"Trendy is the last stage before tacky."

Fall/Winter 1985 Chanel show during Paris Fashion Week.

"There's a price you have to pay for fame, and people who don't want to pay that price can get in trouble. I accepted the idea of celebrity because of a French expression: 'You cannot have the butter and the money for the butter.'"

Claudia Schiffer in 1989 for the Spring/Summer Haute Couture show.

"I remember a designer who said that intelligent women don't wear her dresses. Obviously, she went bankrupt."

Amazing gold detail at the Fall/Winter runway show in 1990.

"Chic is a kind of mayonnaise, either it tastes, or it doesn't."

Veronica Webb at the Bergdorf Goodman and Chanel 'Off the Street' Runway Show.

"Luxury bags make your life more pleasant, make you dream, give you confidence, and show your neighbors you're doing well."

Cindy Crawford in a see-through gold gown at the Haute Couture Spring/Summer runway.

"Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.

Noami Cambell at the Spring 1933 show.

"I am a fashion person, and fashion is not only about clothes—it's about all kinds of change."

Cindy Crawford rocking Chanel suspenders in 1994.

"Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Evolution is the secret for the next step."

Modern-day bride and groom at the Spring 2010 show.

"Luxury is the ease of a t-shirt in a very expensive dress."

Karl Lagerfeld's 2010 Winter show featured giant icebergs as the runway with fur as the main look.

"Don't use expensive clothes as a screen for your personal doubts. Be proud of yourself and not only because you wear expensive designer clothes. They are great, but lots of people are happy without them."