Kanye's 'Jesus Is King' Sends An Important Message To A Secular America

No matter what you've done or how badly you've sinned, God will always be there to welcome you home.

124

Kanye West released his new album, "Jesus is King," this past Friday. After a crisis of faith in which Kanye nearly quit rap altogether and called it the "devil's music," Kanye instead decided to use his music to glorify God.

Is it the best album in the world? No.

Are some of the songs a bit bizarre? Very much so. (I'm looking at you, "Closed on Sunday.")

However, the message behind the album and Kanye's faith journey are incredibly important in an increasingly secular America.

Critics have ridiculed Kanye for his clearly less-than-chaste life. Articles about his past porn addiction are flooding mainstream media, as are pieces citing his wife's first claim to fame- a pornographic film called "Kim Kardashian, Superstar." It seems to many that these aspects of Kanye's past disqualify him from religion altogether. They're calling him a hypocrite for spreading the word of God.

These people are missing the point of religion altogether.

God is merciful. God is forgiving. He calls on each one of us to be faithful to him. Some hear His call early on. For others, it takes a bit longer.

In the Bible, Jesus tells a parable of the Prodigal Son. The son's father gives him his share of the estate, and the son quickly spends it all on sinful pleasures. The son returns to his father, starving and desperate. He tells his father he has sinned against him and heaven. The son expects to be chastised by his father. However, his father is overjoyed that he has returned, and has a celebration. The message here is clear- no matter what you've done or how badly you've sinned, just come home. God will forgive you, child of His that you are.

So no, Kanye isn't hypocritical. The fact that he has sinned in the past does not render him ineligible to spread the word of God. No Christian or religious person is infallible. Religion is about striving to be better and to live more fully in God's image.

Kanye's religious journey serves as a beacon of hope in an increasingly secular America. Young people, in particular, are suffering severe bouts of hopelessness. Anxiety and depression are swiftly becoming more and more common. Between 2007-1017, suicide rates increased 56% among people 10-24 years old.

We live in a culture that encourages drug use, binge-drinking, and casual hookups. As we stray further and further from the word of God, we become more desperate for a solution. Kanye serves as an example of someone who strayed, but who returned to faith and God. He is seeking to improve and to live a more full and holy life.

"Jesus is King" and Kanye's religious awakening spreads an important message to the youth of America.

God will always be there to welcome you home.