Burning your Nike shoes in protest of Nike's decision to have Colin Kaepernick at the center of an ad-campaign is not going to do anything.
Politics

Congratulations Moron, You Just Burned Your Own Sneakers

And guess what, Nike does not give a shit.

97
Colin Kaepernick Nike Ad

As a sports fan, I've never understood the concept of burning your own gear in protest. You are literally burning your own gear to "symbolize" that you seem to be angry with some decision.

Yet it seems that once in a while, a surge of burning apparel seems to crop back up into the sports world. The most famous one probably would be Cavaliers fans burning LeBron's jersey when he left Cleveland to join Ray Allen and Dwyane Wade in Miami.

However, a recent event puts any other burning of gear to shame. Nike announced that they would be launching an ad-campaign with Colin Kaepernick leading the way.

Kaepernick is most notable for his protests during the 2016 NFL season where he kneeled for the National Anthem. While that is a discussion for another day, people started to burn Nike gear after seeing Nike "disrespect" America.

While burning your own stuff is idiotic by itself, it does not even compare to the levels of density to think that Nike will actually care what you think.

We are talking about a multi-billion dollar empire of apparel that continues to rake in absurd amounts of money every quarter of the fiscal year.

You think they care about what 45-year old Frank from bumblewherever, USA does to his old pair of $50 running shoes that were more than likely made in a sweatshop somewhere?

Absolutely not. You might as well win a Darwin Award while you are at it.

It is absolutely crazy to me that people can get this riled up about someone who is actually making a difference in communities since he has been unemployed by the NFL. In 2016, he promised to donate one million dollars of his salary to charities, and he accomplished that feat earlier this year.

Yet many people are arguing that Nike is disrespecting veterans with this move to feature him in this ad campaign.

For anyone who thinks this is even semi-true, I encourage you to look up what former Seahawks long snapper and Green Beret Nate Boyer said about Kaepernick when he was still playing in 2016.

So go ahead and continue to burn your shit, cause Nike nor Kaepernick is not going to care. What they are going to care about is continuing the work that the former San Francisco quarterback started with one knee in 2016, and its here to stay for years to come.