Best Kacey Musgraces songs

6 Kacey Musgraves Songs For Every Mood

Singer-songwriter Kacey Musgraves has always put out witty, observational, tongue-in-cheek songs that have challenged the stylistic and social norms of music, especially country music.

37

Personally, I am a huge fan of Kacey Musgraves and her music. She is an independent, humorous and confident artist which radiates through her music. And if you're thinking: "I don't really like country music that much," I will let you know that I am not necessarily a country music fan either. I like a handful of country music artists who are producing music today. I can promise you that her music isn't like other country music from today, and because of this, she is getting more and more recognition for her unique style.

Kacey's latest album "Golden Hour" has caught the world's attention, rightfully so, but her earlier albums should not be overlooked either! Although Musgraves' music is cutting edge, the songs still mix in old country elements and maintain classic sounds and messages. Because of her blend of classic and modern elements, as well as the variety of her stories, Kacey Musgraves has at least one song for every type of person, so give these songs a listen!

1. Love: "Butterflies"

"Butterflies," a single off of her latest album called "Golden Hour," feels like a dream-like love story. "Now you're lifting me up, instead of holding me down/Stealing my heart instead of stealing my crown" is the beginning of the refrain, which describes light and freeing love - who wouldn't want that?

2. Breakup: "Space Cowboy"

On the other side of the coin, here's a song to pull you out of your latest break-up before you cry and turn to that pint of ice cream in the fridge. In "Space Cowboy," Musgraves sings about letting go of an already failing relationship. She expresses her fading will to fight for the relationship. But she does this while accepting her circumstance and not regretting what was by saying, "'Cause I know my place, and it ain't with you/Sunsets fade, and love does too/Oh, we had our day in the sun/When a horse wants to run, ain't no sense in closing the gate/You can have your space" and "roads weren't made to not go down." Get ready to take the high road and forget that trash guy who you just broke up with.

3. Jealousy: "Biscuits"

Before you release the green-eyed monster, listen to "Biscuits" to gain a new perspective on what happens when you act on jealousy. "Mind your own biscuits, and life will be gravy" is the tagline of the tune which calls out nosy, critical people who only hurt themselves when focusing all of their negative energy on others. The song is very representative of Musgrave's style because it contains quirky to-the-point lyrics which allow Musgraves to lightheartedly criticize and comment on broader problems and tendencies of society.

4. Blocking out the haters: "Follow Your Arrow"

One of Musgraves' major hits, "Follow Your Arrow," from Same Trailer Different Park encourages you to be yourself in spite of what others say, because at the end of the day, you can't please everyone. Her lyrics focus on responding to the dilemma of being 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' by just living for yourself and doing what makes you happy. Her song "Cup of Tea," off of her sophomore album, also has a very similar message about ignoring whether or not everyone likes you or not.

5. Annoyed: "High Horse"

Everyone knows an arrogant narcissist. No one likes the person who thinks they're better than everyone else who has walked the earth. This song will help you take out your anger on that annoying person in your class, group project, job, or friend group who is painfully self-absorbed.

6. Christmas-y: "Ribbons and Bows"

"I don't need ribbons and bows to cure my woes/No, I just need your love" leads the chorus of this festive song. Although the song is original to Musgraves, it might remind you of that one little holiday hit called "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. In addition to this song, the rest of Musgrave's Christmas album is a fun twist on new and traditional Christmas songs that will freshen up your normal holiday music rotation.