The Juul Phenomenon

The Juul Phenomenon

What is a Juul and why does everyone have one?

722
The Juul Phenomenon

Before going to college, I had never seen or even heard of a Juul. It’s an e-cigarette that looks similar to a flash drive and contains a small pod of liquid. The liquid contains the same amount of nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes. From just a few hits, a short lasting head rush is created. Due to the high concentration of nicotine, a Juul is highly addictive. The small design and assortment of colors make it seem harmless. Although it is dangerous, there is little to no data on what the addicting affects will lead to for young people.

As a teen, many of my friends own Juuls and vape countless times a day. The website displays the statement, “With its unique satisfaction profile, simple interface and flavor variety, JUUL was designed with smokers in mind.” Despite this claim, Juuling is frequently seen in younger audiences. Any Juul owner I’ve met has expressed that they no longer feel the effects of the product. They are all aware that there are potential health risks and that they are addicted to using the sleek, small device. There is also the downfall of price that is frequently complained about. Although the starter kit is only fifty dollars, this only includes the device itself and four pods. Personally, my friends use about four pods a week. Online, four pods cost sixteen dollars making Juuling an expensive habit.

News outlets are beginning to warn parents to look out for the e-cigarette in their children’s possessions. Although the Juul site requests that you be 21 years or older to access and provide proof, there is never a follow up to ensure viewers are really the age they claim to be. If claiming to be under 21 years old, the user will be sent to smokefreeteen website. To buy a Juul you must be 18 years old. Even with this law, some gas stations and convenience stores selling Juuls will be lax with checking ids. Within high schools, a student could easily ask his older classmates to purchase a Juul for him.

When researching for this article, I found a YouTube video instructing kids how to use and hide their Juuls in class. It is comical to watch a boy, obviously under 18, explain to other young people how to utilize the device during the school day, without teachers noticing. His viewers commented their tips and tricks on staying out of trouble. It is evident that children under the purchasing age are using this new form of nicotine addiction. YouTube does request that viewers verify that the content is age appropriate before continuing to the video.

From my own experience, it is easy to hit a friend’s Juul and feel the short head rush. I have never been enticed to buy one of my own, but occasionally, it is something I have done when going out with my friends. I have never smoked a cigarette socially, but this form of nicotine seems less offensive and not-so-taboo. The Juul is a party environment e-cigarette that quickly turns into an addiction and demands to be tended to.