Just A Little Swirl

Just A Little Swirl

Judgments Upon Biracial Couples
118

Fifty years ago if two people of different races were to couple with each other society would smear their names in blood red. It's unfortunate that it is still so today, at least in certain communities.

I remember when I was younger I overheard these two men talking, and at the time I didn't understand what they were speaking of, but now I do.

"Yo man, did you see that n***a with that white girl?"

"Yeah, I saw it. She gonna take one look around our Brooklyn and walk the hell out. Plus his mama aight gonna want no white girl as her daughter-in-law. Watch her bring some f***ing cold slaw to the family dinners."

Laughing they nodded at each other as other people in the surrounds nodded their agreements.

"I bet she's just experimenting with him. Watch in a few weeks they'll break up. And he'll be coming back for us black women." This time it was a woman who we'll call Cindy. Cindy was Haitian and African by her muddled accent.

At the time I didn't understand the for a lack of a better word "dislike" people had when there are couples with different races. At the time I didn't see it as anything wrong and now I still don't.

I can fully understand that because of ones culture they can be stuck in a certain time, however to be living in a place as NYC, there needs to be a certain amount of understanding that nothing is normal. NYC is a place where the unexpected should be expected, however a "biracial" couple shouldn't be unexpected, but accepted. These people are taking the initiative to go out there and experience another's culture, values and even language.

In my opinion I don't think that people of any race or ethnicity should berated for wanting someone that isn't like them. Why be with one flavor when you can taste them all?