Just Let Them Love

Just Let Them Love

You cannot tell me to change who I like just because you disapprove or think it strange.

12
Just Let Them Love
Shutterstock

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I don't think anyonewill never run across this issue, but let people love. This is a full on rant about how people need to stop judging and criticizing others on how they love. This is simply my opinion on the matter and in no way, art, or form am I saying these people are the bane of everyone who's experienced what I have before. I am just making a general statement of how I feel on the matter and getting this particular chip off my shoulder before I literally lose my mind and temper.

Ever since I was a child, I've always had this terrible, earth-shattering temper that made Hell look like the coolest place in the world. As I've grown and matured, that short temper and the hellish child everyone knew had mellowed out. I still get annoyed easily and can move Heaven and Earth if I'm pushed far enough. It's just now I can hide it and control it better. Don't believe that I'll let you walk all over me just because I don't respond to whatever barbs you're trying to prick me with. Because rest assured, you are playing with fire and will eventually be burned.

Now, to move on to the main subject of this rant.

I've had a rather tough childhood with my parents' divorcing and all before middle school, so I've always been wary about putting my heart out there for people. It's the main reason why I didn't date until then end of my junior year. Not everyone is like that, mind you, I'm just one of the rare ones who didn't date until their last two years of high school. Don't get me wrong, the guys in my grade were great and nice, but they were just classmates I'd grown up with since kindergarten.

So, most of the guys in my own grade (and age) were out of the question to me. I was friends with several people in the grades below me and had been since I was a sophomore. Our small little group was one of the best things about school honestly. It's also how I met my current boyfriend. Granted, he'd been going to our school since eighth grade, I'd just never gotten around to meeting and talking with him. Toward the end of my sophomore year, he'd entered our circle of friends and eventually became one of my best friends.

I didn't start having feelings for him until the near end of junior year, but by then, my best friend was dating him and I wasn't going to bother them if they were happy. So, I let them date and cheered them on as a good friend should do. It wasn't until they broke up and suitable time had passed that I decided to try and confess to him. Long story short, we got together and have remained together even now despite the fact that I'm in college and he's still in high school.

Yes, that's right. My boyfriend is just now a senior in high school compared to my sophomore year in college, and I'm older than him.

When we first started dating, I was absolutely terrified of people bringing us both down just because I was older than him and he was a few years younger than me. I mean, my school isn't as bad as some other schools when it comes to this particular subject; however, it's no meadow filled with flowers and butterflies either. There are just as many bullies and jerks who love to spread rumors just for the fun of it. So, we only told our friends and kept our relationship a secret from the rest of the school. Don't misunderstand me. I love my boyfriend and will continue to do so. I was and never will be ashamed of him. But, I would not stand anyone making fun of, starting rumors, or hounding either one of us for dating. I refused to and if anyone mentioned it in a joking light, I was ready to go off anyway.

Our plan to keep it from the school didn't last long as I knew deep down it wouldn't, and so I was very short when it came to discussing my relationship with my boyfriend to other people period. I'm sorry if you don't like me dating someone younger than me or if you think it's wrong, but you cannot tell me to change who I like just because you disapprove or think it strange.

I will love whoever I damn well please regardless of who you wish me to date. I am my own person and I have a good head on my shoulders if I do say so myself. I am not irresponsible nor can I easily be influenced. I know right from wrong. And confessing to my boyfriend is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I'm sorry if you don't approve of our relationship because he's about three years younger than me. I'm sorry you don't like the fact that we're interracial. I'm sorry you don't like the fact that I chose to date him instead of someone older than me who can "better take care of me." I don't care. He makes me happy and feel amazing. He loves me for me. Is that not what love is for? To find that one person who makes you ten times better, loves you for who you are as a person, and will make you laugh when you need it?

And just because he's not older than me or not the same age as me, does not mean he is incapable of taking care of me. Although, I don't need a man, boyfriend or no, to do everything for me. I can handle things by myself, too. This is the 21st Century, not the freaking Dark Ages. That ship has sailed a long time ago and has sunken to the bottom of the ocean to never be seen again.

I'd also like to point out that yes, he is in high school. Yes, we are still talking to each other even from miles away. Yes, I trust him just as he trusts me. And yes, I know you think it's weird how we're still together despite being on two different academic levels as of right now. I don't care. I'm tired of having to answer these questions over and over again.

Oh yeah, and one more thing: I am not some damn prize to him. Just because he is in high school and he "scored" by dating a "college woman" does not make it any more degrading than if you said, "She's a cougar for dating someone so much younger than her."

This person and his friends can get over themselves because that just makes me want to punch a wall. Better yet, it makes me want to punch him for even saying it in the first place. I don't care if it's a joke or some stupid, insipid guy-talk bullshit. I don't even care if you meant no harm by saying, "I can get away with flirting with other guys because I'm in college and he's still in high school." I take my relationship with my boyfriend very seriously. Anyone who finds that odd can go find that sunken ship at the bottom of the ocean, too, because I'm tired of that little stereotype as well.