I'm Single At 20, Never Been In A Relationship, And I Like It That Way

I'm a single 20-year-old college student, and I'm perfectly OK with that.

257

I’m going to let you in on a little secret.

I’ve never had a boyfriend.

I mean, I had those childhood boyfriends where you and your friends giggle and make fun of your relationship with some other kid. Where you might give them a chocolate bar for Valentine’s Day rather than just a card you give everyone else.

But I have never had an actual, grown-up boyfriend, and I’m OK with it.

Being older and living in a small town, you always get these questions, “Why don’t you have a special someone? You know you’re getting older, and the older you get, the harder it will be to find a man.”

These conversations give me the shivers.

And they always end with me saying the same thing over again.

"Why do I need to find someone? Why can’t I just be happy and be single? And, no, Carol, I do not want you to set me up on a date with your grandson's friend's brother."

Just because I’m single, doesn’t mean I’m available.

I’m focusing on me.

For once in my life, I don’t have to worry about anyone else but me. I need to enjoy that time. I need to better myself and figure out what I want in life.

I’m selfish, and I’m perfectly OK with it right now.

There’s this mindset that if someone is in their younger 20s they have to find that special someone. We have to map out our lives in just a few short years.

We have to figure out what we want to be for the rest of our lives and find a partner that we would want to spend the rest of our lives with. That's just something I'm not too fond of.

I have a long road ahead of me in life. I'm not looking for anyone to share this journey with right now. I'm not open to the thought of being with someone.

It's my time to figure myself out right now. And I'm OK with that.