July 21 Is National Junk Food Day, But The Fact That We’re Still Villainizing Food Is A Problem

Food is not an end-all, cure-all – it won't solve all of your problems and in the same light, food can't deliberately hurt you.

241

Media loves to hate on certain foods and health junkies buy right into it. But, we are all being fooled. We eat food to nourish our beautiful bodies and to make sure we have enough energy to fulfill our hopes and dreams. And, unlike what diet culture says, food is not evil.

Would you believe me if I said there are no "good" or "bad" foods? If I were to guess, your response would be, "What are you talking about? There is junk food and healthy food."

But, food is food. Yeah, you read what I wrote.

There is no reason to villainize that burger and fries and put your kale juice on a pedestal. Every food item can fit into your diet. Even using the word "junk" in front of food, rubs me the wrong way.

We are not at war with food, we are on the same side.

Who said that we are at war with food? Oh yeah, million-dollar diet industries who thrive on your insecurities. Ask any professional dietician and they would disagree with everything diet culture has to say.

See also "27 Health Myths That Are Actually Incredibly Harmful To Yor Wellbeing."

When we villanize food, we are giving certain foods power over us and saying that they are "responsible for causing us trouble, harm, or damage." This is a clear fear tactic that diet companies depend on to manipulate consumers. Food is not an end-all, cure-all – it won't solve all of your problems and in the same light, food can't deliberately hurt you.

By villanizing certain foods, you are giving it an uncalled for power over you, which will only make you crave this so-called untouchable food more. We all know you want what you can't have.

Once you throw the labels away and stop demonizing food, your body will naturally crave nourishment. You will find freedom and satisfaction away from diet culture. That sounds like a breath of fresh air, doesn't it?