The Joy of Saying "Madame President"
Politics

The Joy of Saying "Madame President"

The long road to obtain Women's Suffrage.

12
The Joy of Saying "Madame President"

I guess that the first thing that I have to do is clarify that this article was written on November 7, 2016 by a college sophomore in her sorority house with no political control (excluding her civic duty to vote). She has no advance way of knowing the election results, nor is the content of this article encouraging people to vote for candidates based on their demographics over their policies. That being said:

At least once I week, I hear someone say the words, "Madame President." It's one of the many perks of being in a sorority. The first time I heard these words spoken I did not realize their weight. How could I? My entire life I have been told that I could be anything. That I could do anything - including running for President. It never crossed my mind that there existed a time where this concept would be mocked or scorned. Now we are at the very end of a historic Presidential election, and by the time this article publishes we might very well have a female President. How did we get here? It took almost a century of campaigning for women to gain suffrage.

A Timeline of Events:

1840 Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton are barred from attending the World Anti-Slavery Convention held in London. This prompts them to hold a Women's Convention in the US.

1848 Seneca Falls, New York is the location for the first Women's Rights Convention. Elizabeth Cady Stanton writes "The Declaration of Sentiments" creating the agenda of women's activism for decades to come.

1853 Women delegates, Antoinette Brown and Susan B. Anthony, are not allowed to speak at The World's Temperance Convention held in New York City.

1866 Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony form the American Equal Rights Association, an organization dedicated to the goal of suffrage for all regardless of gender or race

1868 In Vineland, New Jersey, 172 women cast ballots in a separate box during the presidential election. The Fourteenth Amendment is ratified. "Citizens" and "voters" are defined exclusively as male.

1871 The Anti-Suffrage Party is founded.

1872 Susan B. Anthony casts her ballot for Ulysses S. Grant in the presidential election and is arrested and brought to trial in Rochester, New York. Fifteen other women are arrested for illegally voting. Sojourner Truth appears at a polling booth in Battle Creek, Michigan, demanding a ballot to vote; she is turned away. Victoria Woodhull Martin ran for President of the United States.

1878 A Woman Suffrage Amendment is proposed in the U.S. Congress. When the 19th Amendment passes forty-one years later, it is worded exactly the same as this 1878 Amendment.

1890 Wyoming adopts woman suffrage.

1919 The Senate finally passes the Nineteenth Amendment and the ratification process begins.

August 26, 1920 Three quarters of the state legislatures ratify the Nineteenth Amendment. American Women win full voting rights.

Now that is a very long list of only a few of the many important triumphs and failures of women gaining voting rights in America. It does have some cool highlights. Hillary Clinton is definitely not the first woman to run for President (and this isn't even the first time that she has ran). Victoria Woodhull Martin ran for president in 1872. Also, Colorado is apparently quick to accept controversial issues as they adopted women's suffrage in 1893 (three years after Wyoming).

It took a lot of work for us to get to this point, and that effort has gone unrealized due to the farcical nature of this election. Regardless of your political beliefs, you have to acknowledge that this election is one for the record books.