Sometimes God Shows His BIG Love For You In Small Ways

Finding Joy

33

Where do you go looking for joy in a world as broken as ours? When life is really messy, people are really hurting, things are really hard and everything isn't working out to be the fairy tale you envisioned for your life, what brings you joy? Whether you are stuck in the middle of a horrible, devastating struggle or simply bored and unenthusiastic about the monotonous routine of daily life, God loves you big. And that love brings joy.

And while God sometimes chooses to love you in big, miraculous ways, showing up in impossible situations and rescuing you with his mighty hand, he also loves you through simple joys that often go unnoticed. But those small joys are gifts from God to affirm you, build you up, and make you smile through whatever struggle, whatever circumstance, you are enduring.

It's easier when God shows up big. It's exciting, experiencing his grace, strength, healing, and love in crazy ways. When he answers your prayers exactly as you want, blesses you with big successes, fun relationships, loving friends, good things--those big signs of God's love are easier to see, but there is equal joy to be found in the little ways he loves you. And sometimes the joy itself comes from your desire to see more of God. As you try to recognize his love for you through small things, you'll seek more and more of him in your daily life, and the glory of seeing his love revealed to you will bring you joy.

If you look for God's love, you'll see how he loves you through small joys every day. You'll feel his love from the sun after weeks of rain, a hot cup of coffee, a new study spot, a good day at work where things just go right. You'll feel loved through a new running route with lots of pretty views, a book that makes you feel something, a friendly owner who chats with you at their coffee shop, a new friend, an entertaining lecture that for once, keeps you engaged for an entire class period. You'll feel loved through hearing your favorite song on the radio, a really good devotional that seems to fit your current circumstances perfectly, a pretty snowfall, a really good piece of chocolate cake.

See, if you add all these little loves up, you have a really good day with a really good God who loves you really well.

But you have to look for them and recognize them for the joys they are. You have to want to see God's love, which isn't always an easy place to get to. But if you pray to see God's glory, to feel his love, you will. Your heart and mind will see his love for you through people, places, and earthly joys. You'll see how he loves you in so many small ways, and sometimes that is enough to get you through a really hard day or a really bad season.

Don't be so focused on waiting for a miraculous sign from God to be assured of his love for you. God loves you big, but sometimes he shows you through small joys. So learn to love him back in big and small ways and look for his glory in all you do.