My Journey To Getting A Pixie Cut

My Journey To Getting A Pixie Cut

It was time for a change!

270
My Journey To Getting A Pixie Cut
Julie Weiner

The pixie cut has been the haircut of the 2010s, since Emma Watson cut her hair after filming the final Harry Potter movie. Celebrities such as Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Lawrence, Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansson, Shailene Woodley, Lily Collins, and Charlize Theron have followed the trend. It is an extremely bold, life-changing decision that I, a not famous total dork from Pennsylvania, finally followed through with on March 10th.

I've never gone shorter than a bob, at least since I was about three years old. I donated my hair once when I was about eight or nine and once when I was 15. My hair grows really fast, though. I'm told that's a sign that I've been eating well, so good for me. However, once it gets long enough, it seems to start to gain consciousness. They're like the snakes on Celia from Monster's Inc.'s hair. It wants in on my food, my toothpaste. It even finds its way into peoples' mouths when I kiss them. If it gets any longer, it might start trying to take over the world. That was the problem with bobs—they grew out really quickly.

For years, I considered cutting my hair really short, but never felt confident enough to do so. But a few months ago, my hair grew into a long bob with terrible damage. I stared at pictures on Pinterest and started compiling a board for possible new shorter hairstyles, and realized that the only thing stopping me was myself. So I made an appointment with my hairstylist back home for spring break.

Lily Collins was my "hairspiration." She has a round face and thick, brown hair like I do. There were a lot of pictures of her pixie cut on Pinterest, and she became the most common face on my board. The pictures I found of her were from many different angles, which I knew would be helpful for my stylist. Unfortunately, my hair was just too short to donate again, but I couldn't stand my long, damaged hair any longer!

My stylist, Christina, has been seeing me, my mom, and my sister for about 10 years. She knows our hair like the back of her hand. She cut my hair both times I donated it, and has been cutting my bobs since. She was very excited for me when I told her that I was ready for the big chop, and agreed that Lily Collins's hair would also work on me.

Christina started by chopping off two-inch strands off the back of my head, and throwing them to the side. I had to look straight ahead, so I didn't see. I didn't feel nervous or regretful. The timing was perfect. When she started chopping the side of my head, the style really started coming together and I felt so excited that I had to work hard to stifle squeals of joy!

Christina let me take pictures of the strands she had chopped off before someone swept them away. I was stunned at how many there were. I sure have a lot of hair!

I was beaming while she blow-dried my new and improved hair. I wished I had done it much earlier, but there's no time like the present. When I left the salon and got into my car, I took an embarrassing amount of selfies but only wound up sending one to my friends on Snapchat and Facebook.

While driving home, I kept touching it and squealing because I couldn't believe how amazing it was! My head felt like it had just been relieved of a heavy weight. I don't feel bald, but I should have worn a scarf because the wind was getting to my bare neck!

If you have been grappling with the idea of getting a pixie cut, I encourage you to do what I did. It is important to think hard, do your research and come to your stylist with a picture, but at the end of the day, the only force that is stopping you from cutting your hair is you.