Journalism Isn't A Dying Profession
Lifestyles

Contrary To Popular Belief, Journalism Is Not Dead

Journalism is alive and well.

103
Dominique Smith

Recently, I got the opportunity to attend the Investigative Reporters and Editors conference. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I remember sitting at the awards luncheon with one of the new friends that I met, waiting for another new friend to receive her award for her investigative journalism story that she wrote. Bill Whitaker from 60 Minutes was the keynote speaker. Of the many brilliant things that he said, this one quote stuck out to me.

"Keep on keeping on."

Those five words rang in my head like a Christmas carol and I couldn't understand why initially. That evening, we had the closing reception for the conference since most journalists were leaving the next morning, even though the conference ended the next day. I remember saying goodbye to the new friends that I made, and while I told them, "I'll see you later," Whitaker's comments came to life.

Those comments came after the president called the press the "enemy of the people." Regardless of your political preference or what you feel about the state of the media, this one thing is true. There is a serious push to discredit the media and to make them crumble if they don't meet the demands of the ones in power. Every article that is factually based is being called fake and the audience of readers have gotten confused as to what real journalism is.

Here's a fact. Anything story or comment that has a dominate human opinion isn't journalism, it's propaganda or just an opinion. Journalism wasn't made to fit the narrative of society. It was meant to make a difference in society by telling the truth. Sometimes, that's going to piss you off, or it will warm your heart. But the tool that triggers your emotion is the truth and the truth comes from individuals who dedicate their lives, possibly at the risk of losing their lives to make sure the truth is told.

I listened to student journalist and veteran journalist share the struggles that they have dealt with over the years in order to pursue the truth. Some journalists were held at gunpoint. Some of them had to fight racism in the newsroom, which is still an issue to this day. Some of them had to fight off financial issues. As I type this, a newsroom is cutting positions, leaving many talented journalists without a job. I can go on and on. But despite all of the hurdles, named and unnamed, in the midst of chaos, if you don't see anything else, you'll see a camera and a reporter and a reporter's notebook.

Journalists were there when disaster struck from devastating hurricanes, keeping viewers informed and trying to provide comfort and a solution. Journalists were on the scene of the acts of terror trying to get to the bottom of what really happened. When there is an injustice in the local community, journalists are there. When there is something or someone to celebrate, journalists tell their stories. Without journalists and journalism, there is no one to hold those in power accountable. If you think our society is a mess now, just think about how it would be without journalism. Those in power could do what they want when they wanted to do it because they know there would be no repercussions.

I was encouraged and honored to be around 1700 of the finest journalist and student journalist at the conference. I'm honored and excited to be among incredible student journalist at UCF who are doing big things and will continue to do big things in this profession. Despite job cuts, journalists in Colorado came together to start their own publication. I read recently that a group of sports journalists created their own publication when they were laid off from their jobs. Journalists continue to fight for the truth.

In closing, one of the things that meant a lot to me at the conference was the number of people that told me "don't hesitate to call me." Or, "if you need any help, I got you, I want to help you." I heard this and so much more from so many journalists, not just the new friends that I made at the conference. That's why this profession will be okay. The love and support that is had for one another is real and is encouraging.

So with that being said, to all journalist, "Keep on keeping on."