Not Rushing Until Sophomore Year Was One Of The Best Decisions I've Ever Made

It's never too late to start your next big adventure.

2083
Briana Gagnon

Sorority Recruitment — more commonly referred to as rush or, as some might call it, "Hell Week." I paid my 25 dollars and signed up, not knowing what to expect, let alone which of the 10 sororities at the University of Rhode Island was right for me.

As a sophomore, I was getting a late start to a very freshman-dominated game.

A few friends of mine who are also sophomores signed up too, so at least I knew I wasn't the only one getting a bit of a late start. In a sense, waiting until sophomore year was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and shaped the way I formed my decision as to which sorority I belonged in.

Round 1 was a whirlwind of blurry faces and cups of water that I eagerly drank with poise. Questions were flung left and right at me like water balloons.

"So what made you wait until your sophomore year to rush?"

I waited because truthfully I was scared, unprepared, and unable to decide things for myself. I lacked the confidence I have developed now, a year later, and was allowing outside opinions to sway my thoughts. I did a lot of growing up that year, and who I am now is a far better representation of who I am as a person.

I danced for 15 years, so having a big group of girls surrounding me was normal. My freshman year I didn't have that extended family around, and my friend group grew small.

As a sophomore, I knew if I didn't pursue rush, I would regret it for the rest of my life.

I needed that big group in my life again, to have those people who I could discover myself with, cry with, and dance with under Christmas lights on a Saturday night. Sisters from far and wide who would enrich my university experience, and teach me how to become the best version of me I can be.

By Round 2 all but four sororities dropped me.

And I'll admit it, I was floored. Apparently, it's common for sophomores, and even freshman. As shocked as I was, I was also relieved, my decision-making process just became a heck of a lot easier, and every sorority I was interested in called me back.

By Round 3 I had three sororities left, and my heart ached at the thought of what came next... Pref Night.

Where I would choose my forever home. The girls I talked to were amazing, beautiful souls who I fell head over heels for. They showed genuine interest in me as a person and were easy to relate to in many different ways.

Pref Night came, and I was more torn than I thought I would be. I assumed my answer would be a clear one, but it wasn't the case. I felt at home in both houses and the women were all so welcoming. They each offered me amazing opportunities. In the end, no one but me could make this decision. When voting came around, I had to ask myself this simple question:

"If you were to not receive a bid from Sorority A or B, which would upset you the most to not have received?"

My roommate posed this question to me early on in the process, and Sorority A was the first to pop into my head, and I knew in my gut I had to go with them. Of course that night I overthought like a mad woman, wondering if my decision was the right one.

Bid Day was the day that changed the rest of my college career, let alone my life.

I received a bid from Sorority A, and I was nervous yet excited. As I ran to the girls, I realized this was my group, the ladies who I belong with. My close friends also got bids, which excited me even more.

I'm a new member of the best sorority in the world, Chi Omega, and couldn't be happier. I can't stress to you enough, go through the recruitment process, it's the most amazing thing I've ever done, and I loved every second of it. Freshmen and sophomores alike, if you have spring rush, please go for it! You can't judge a book by its cover until you've read it in its entirety.

With a clear picture of who I wanted to affiliate with, I couldn't be happier with where the process led me. I can't wait to spend the next two and a half years with the amazing women of Chi Omega.