Join the 16th Annual Baylor Medical Humanities Retreat

“The Least of These: What In God’s Name Can We Do?”

8

Baylor Medical Humanities is excited to announce its 16th Annual Medical Humanities Retreat! This event will take place February 13-14, 2015 at Truett Seminary, and it’s open to students and faculty from all over the university. For only $15, you will receive all meals, sessions and activities; PLUS, the first 50 registrants will receive free t-shirts. Be sure to register if you are interested in working in or around the healthcare professions in your future.               

Keynote speaker and clinical professor in Baylor’s Honors Program, Dr. Lisa Baker, will discuss and reflect on “The Least of These: What In God’s Name Can We Do?” taken from Jesus’ parable about the workers in the vineyard from Matthew 20:1-16. What does this story have to say to us at Baylor? Is it still relevant? How does God’s definition of what is fair and just differ from ours? How can this scripture inform the work we are called to do and the ways in which we are called to serve, both locally and abroad – in ways that are practical, sustainable & meaningful?               

“You want to come hear Dr. Baker speak, because not only is she a pediatrician, but she is a pediatrician with a heart for the world. Personally, Lisa Baker, to me, is one of the most congruent people I know in what she says, what she does, how she spends her money – all of those things line up with her priorities.” – William G Hoy, Dmin, FT.     

First envisioned by Dr. Mike Attas, this retreat is meant as a time to reflect on the sacred nature of a vocation in medicine. It is the heart and soul of the Medical Humanities program at Baylor University and a place to practice medicine as a spiritual calling. It brings students with similar interests together to join current medical students and medical professionals.                   

In addition to the keynote speaker, this retreat will include other excellent talks and presentations explaining the intersection between faith and medicine, as well as breakout sessions, small group discussions and conversation and community building among students, faculty and guests. Lastly, there will be a Q&A session with Baylor alumni who are now in medical school. Many students have come out of this retreat having learned more about the role of religion in medical practice.               

“It brought me out of my senior year slump, and made me excited to go to medical school again. It reminded me of the fire that burns inside of me for what I am doing, and told me to get back to tending it.” – Student who attended the retreat               

Come join the Baylor Medical Humanities program for meals, music, worship and much more! This is a great opportunity to hear from those who practice or want to practice medicine as a sacred vocation. 

For more information and to register, visit the Medical Humanities retreat page by clicking this link: http://www.baylor.edu/medical_humanities/index.php...