Johnny Who?

And with the 22nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Johnny Manziel, quarterback, Texas A&M. 

Wahoo!

That was probably the reaction from Browns fans when their team drafted Heisman winner Manziel.       

In my mind, there was a reason that 21 other franchises passed on him. Whether it is the attitude or his antics off the field, or just that they feel the potential isn’t there, there is a reason he fell so far down the board. Personally, I’ve always thought Manziel was just the product of a system. He thrived in Kevin Sumlin’s offense at A&M but was in for a rude awakening when it came to the NFL and the type of defenses he would face. 

After Manziel was drafted ESPN treated him like the Second Coming of Christ, the person who would save football in the city of Cleveland where the Browns have played poorly for so many years. Hell, the kid even tried to trademark the expression and call himself “Johnny Cleveland” a little spinoff on his "Johnny Football" persona from college. It was breaking news when he stepped on the practice field. Sure, give him credit because he had a great college career, but the NFL is a lot different than that. Just ask Ryan Leaf, Colt Brennan and Case Keenum.  

Now as you turn on ESPN you are guaranteed two things: LeBron James and Johnny Manziel. Don’t even get me started on the James subject, but I will give him one thing: he is a superstar and actually starts on his team. In the past couple of days it was baffling to see that it was breaking news all week that Manziel was going to start this weekend against the Bengals. I get it, Brian Hoyer had poor games the last few weeks with a plethora of interceptions thrown, but at the same time I don’t think you just throw him in there. But against my and I am sure many fans' better judgement, they threw him into the lion's den and it didn’t exactly work very well for Johnny. 

“Looked like a rookie, played like a rookie,” said coach Mike Pettine.

Manziel made many rookie mistakes as he just kept throwing the ball to receivers who were just not open at all. Although he played a pretty subpar game, Manziel hung in there as the Bengals thrashed his Browns 30-0. Manziel proved that he is not ready to be a starting quarterback in the NFL as he finished the game 10/18 for 80 yards and two interceptions and was sacked three times, which you can’t totally blame on him as the offensive line didn’t help him much there.  

Johnny Manziel should not be the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, but head coach Mike Pettine says that the rookie will start again next week when the team travels to Carolina to face the Panthers. I guess that’s why they pay him the big money to make the decisions and not me.