Why JohnLock is Important

Why JohnLock is Important

We’re so starved for representation

78
Why JohnLock is Important
BBC

So, back in 2010, a lot of people, especially people who are a part of the Tumblr community, were increasingly growing frustrated with a certain type of group that existed: The Sherlock fandom.

And in a way I understand it.

Within each group, there does exist the extreme.

The fans who take it too far and start to “ship” or pair two actors together. Come on guys, like really?

The fans who were desperately reaching borderline obsession. (Akin to Anderson in series three, tbqh)

And then there were the JohnLock fandom.

People everywhere were highly irritated for this particular fandom to draw to those very "unlike" and peculiar conclusions.

There were a lot of arguments of:

“that’s not what the show is about!”

“they’re not gay”

“why are you tainting the show?”

Please stop, y’all.

While it is a mystery and suspense show, media utilizes it’s huge presence all the time to either profit and advertise goods and ideas about things; draw attention to certain societal elements; to provide people with icons not only for being their favorite character but for reminding them of themselves in some way.

Why would media want to leave a specific, large group out of television?

It would be a smart clever, very clever idea for BBC to have a show, especially if it’s friggen Sherlock, containing dynamic, leading characters in a romantic relationship.

And especially when television lacks representation for these types of people.

I don’t think straight people know how irksome it is when the one character who is gay, or hinted that they’re not straight, aren’t even a flushed out character and they exist solely for a reassurance to the audience: “HEY LOOK WE’RE INCLUSIVE”… or they are killed off immediately.

Or the hella irksome fact when there is specific dialogue, character choices and subtext to give call attention to their epic blooming bromance romance, people pass it off for being platonic!

Anyone can spot love budding early on in movies between a man and woman solely based on the music, context and how the character looks at the other, but when it’s done the same way between same sex characters, it gets mocked or bashed, swept under the rug entirely, or just passed off as a "strong platonic relationship".

Hell, they do this in REAL LIFE. Media and the public dismissed that Kristen Stewart was in a relationship with another woman, all the while she’s kissing – on the mouth no less- and holding hands with them.

And here you all are, arguing brotherly love, when it’s the tension between Holmes and Watson that is the obvious elephant in the room.

The writers, Moffat and Gatiss- an “out”, married gay man himself- have an extensive knowledge on how to format and write terrific shows, how to preform in many different modes, and both have an equally impressive and extensive knowledge on the original books.

They allude to so many tiny details from the original Sherlock Holmes books.

Like seriously, in the old books, Holmes would store his tobacco in a Persian slipper, and in the BBC adapted version, and guess where they have their modern Sherlock stuff his precious cigarettes??

There are soooo many Easter eggs within the show, and every line and choice for the show is very intentional, so why would they keep directing the dialogue to talk about sex and/or sexual orientation- specifically between the two characters Holmes and Watson- if their intent wasn’t to cause you to think something.

Why would they direct these dynamic actors to do very specific things?

Why?

Everyone acts as if they can’t postulate a world with a broad spectrum and diverse in every right: bi, lesbian, trans+, agender, straight etc.

And what kills me even more is that it has been homosexuality as hinted since the dawn of Sherlock.

Look at the times, it was peculiar for the arrangement of these two fictional characters to be having a living arrangement like this. It was questioned. And the thought to write them as gay men was unthought-of because being gay was a crime back then.

So, people with these thoughts had to hide under subtext and tip toe around the tulips from getting found out.

Now, I’m not saying I know for sure that that was Doyle’s direct intention to make Sherlock gay, but I’m not making a random, “fangirlish” shot in the dark.

This is years of reading and re-reading the original books and doing some research on Doyle and his good friend, Oscar Wilde-who was punished for 2 years due to the “gross indecency/homoerotic subtext contained in his own book, ‘The Picture of Dorian Grey’.

And if the creators of BBC Sherlock let the Johnlock ship sink, I will say I wouldn’t be surprised.

This wasn’t the first time someone tried to make an evolutionary change on how we see the detective in the funny hat.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, an adaptation where, again, the writer laced thousands of subtext within the film, but never outright spoke of his sexuality, due to fear of backlash.

Billy Wilder, the writer and producer, has even spoken out about this fact and regrets not going further immensely. “Wilder expressed the wish that he had gone further and made Holmes unambiguously gay—but that’s an idle wish of a filmmaker long past the point where he could change anything in the film.” (http://theotherjournal.com/2012/02/24/the-private-life-of-sherlock-holmes-billy-wilder-1970/)

Oh, and did I mention that this is the very film Gatiss claimed that it changed his life? (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/nov/07/mark-...)

*x files themes plays distantly in the background*

Whether it’s not canonical or even made into in the story of Sherlock BBC, why are people still, for a lack of better term, butt hurt for using their imagination?

It’s lit when you create backstories or assumptions about characters, and as long as you aren’t fetishizing fictional homosexuality for your own humor or whimsical pleasure while demonizing real life homosexuality or other non- heterosexual relationships, you’re good!

But, I can't lie. It would be ground breaking to make this iconic, riveting, show also a brilliant love story, giving awesome content that also cause people to reevaluate their perception on the LGBT+ community.

Anyways, I’m hella excited to see how the alleged “final finale” of Sherlock will end.

If something happens, I can’t promise that I won’t smugly laugh and say “obviously” and if it doesn’t, I’ll let my queer heart quietly mourn over the perfect opportunity and move on, because “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”.

Which is, there’s got to be more shows on the brink that takes the world by storm and beautifully flips off the heteronormative expectation on it's head.

Kinda like the Legend of Korra and Queen Sugar.

But I need more! We deserve more.