Senator, John McCain Passes Away At 81

Senator, John McCain Passes Away At 81

Navy lieutenant commander, prisoner of war, senator, and presidential nominee, died Saturday after his battle with a brain tumor.

104
Senator, John McCain Passes Away At 81
http://loc.gov/pictures/resource/ppmsca.03416/

Last Saturday, John McCain lost his battle to a malignant brain tumor called a glioblastoma after stopping treatment on August 24th. The cancer was discovered last year and after a hard fight, the McCain family released a statement explaining to the public that senator would be stopping both chemotherapy and radiation therapy to stop the growth of the disease.

"John McCain has surpassed expectations for his survival ... the progress of the disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict. With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment," the statement reads.

The next day, war hero, congressman, and senator, John McCain passed away in his Arizona home at 4:28 pm. His daughter, Meghan McCain released a touching statement soon after.

"My father is gone, and I miss him as only an adoring daughter can. But in this loss, and in this sorrow, I take comfort in this: John McCain, hero of the republic and to his little girl, wakes today to something more glorious than anything on this earth. Today the warrior enters his true and eternal life, greeted by those who have gone before him, rising to meet the Author of All Things:

The dream is ended: this is the morning.'"

In Washington D.C., the White House prepared a statement to commemorate the life of John McCain which was promptly ignored by the President. Rather than release the statement, President Trump opted to instead tweet his respect.

President Trump's statement about the death of senator and war hero, John McCain

Many found this statement to be superficial especially for a man who gave some much of his life to the United States of America.

Twitter user @HerzogLorrie commented, "If you want to do one single decent thing in your life, stay off social media today. You couldn't say a single nice thing about an American Hero while he was alive. The country is in mourning and not interested in anything you have to say."

More controversy soon ensued after the flag that was lowered in respect Sunday, was raised again Monday morning. President Trump, in order to remedy the situation, released a statement claiming that the flag would be flown at half-mast until the day of McCain's internment and that his remains would be transported by the military from Arizona to Washington D.C.

America remembers John McCain today for his service as a Navy lieutenant commander, a prisoner of war, a senator, a presidential nominee, and an American who offered time and time again to die for this country. America also sends its support and thoughts to the family and friends of John McCain.