How Job's Daughters Has Helped Me Grow

How Job's Daughters Has Helped Me Grow

We are Job's Daughters, might mighty daughters! Everywhere we go, people want to know who we are - we are JOB'S DAUGHTERS!

1366
How Job's Daughters Has Helped Me Grow
MasterMason1988

How much do you know about the Masonic organizations in your town? Have you ever heard of Job's Daughters? Well, I have been a member of the Job's Daughters bethel in Hastings since 2008. What exactly is Job's? It's a girls only Masonic youth organization. It used to be that the girls would have to be related to a Mason before they could join, but now that no longer applies.

It helps girls grow into amazing, strong women who are often leaders in whatever they do. It's an awesome order and it has helped me grow so much in the past almost ten years. When I turn twenty later this year, I'll no longer be able to join the girls on the floor during meetings. I will, however, be able to get my certification to be able to be on the bethel council, which is full of adults who help the girls!

This order has helped me so, so much though. I have learned so many things, and have become more confident and outspoken. I have come to be confident in myself through standing and leading my bethel for a term, as well as being able to lead them for my last term in my bethel. I don't even know if I can truly list all of the things that I have learned from this amazing organization, but I am going to list a few that are the biggest reasons why I think any girl should join.

The first reason is the feeling of sisterhood. I've learned a lot about sisterhood and how you don't have to be related at all to be sisters. Since Job's is an all girls organization, the only time there are males are when they are on the councils. So, you're around girls a lot, especially the girls from your bethel. They become like sisters when you get to know them and their families through the functions and activities we go to. It's really taught me to treat every girl I meet as though she is my sister. It has helped me gain friends that I never would have approached in the first place, helping me make lasting friendships with the girls whom I consider as my sisters.

The second reason is simple: Carpe Diem. We all know from Dead Poet's Society with Robin Williams, carpe diem means to seize the day. Through Job's I have come to see and know exactly how one does that. It means if you want to go and do something, such as compete in a competition or in the Miss Nebraska Job's Daughters pageant, that you go and do it with confidence. It has helped me be able to have the confidence to stand up and do the things that I felt too shy to have done before. I used to be really shy before I joined my bethel. Now I can't imagine being as confident as I am now without having been in Job's.

Another reason to join Job's Daughters is the ability to learn to try again. Like I mentioned above, we have competitions that we compete in during the Grand (state) Session. These competitions take place on two out of the four days of amazing fun during the summer. Since bethels from all around the state come together, you can end up competing against a lot of girls. There were many times that I competed in a ritual competition and didn't end up even getting third place. But, I learned that I could build myself back up and go for it again the next Grand. As I've been told, it can also apply to other things in life. If you fail the first, second, third or even tenth time, you have another chance to do it again and accomplish it.

A huge reason to join Job's Daughters is the connections. Sometimes it's hard for teenagers to communicate with other teens, to be able to make friends. Job's helps us be able to speak out more to be able to communicate more openly and bravely than what we might have before. It helps us learn that we have friends and non-blood related family with us all the time due to the connections we make with others in our bethel as well as with the other Masonic organizations. I've learned it's very important for youth organizations to stay in touch with the adult ones to be able to continue having our meetings go on. It's also helped me make connections with my community to be able to promote and build my bethel up through fundraising and events.

The final reason is leadership. This, in my opinion, is a big one, especially for the society today. Everyone thinks very differently; we all have different opinions, and sometimes they aren't very nice. We need more youth leaders to be able to stand up and show that we have to be accepting of everybody. In Job's, there is usually very little bullying. If there is, it's usually taken care of quickly because we are all friends, sisters, family. It doesn't happen very often at all, and that's due to the girls learning how to be leaders who stand up for those we call our sisters as well as learning how to lead the girls who may not be ready to be leaders quite yet.

Job's Daughters International is an organization that I believe many, even all, girls should join. There are so many fun moments to have, learning opportunities, and so much room for us to grow. I will always love and treasure the memories and lessons I have learned from being in it.

I encourage all girls who read this, or parents who read it, to find out more about the Masonic youth organizations in your area. If there's a Jobie bethel in your area you should be able to get even more information about this life-changing organization than I have provided. I promise you that it would be worth it.