I'd Rather Go Into A Career That Makes Me Happy Than One That Makes Me Miserable But Pays Well

Finding happiness triumphs finding funds.

10
Photo by Helloquence on Unsplash

We're automatically wired to pursue the jobs or opportunities that will provide us with some kind of financial reward. Not only is this thought prevalent within college students, but it resonates with everyone. We're so caught up with finding what is ultimately going to pay the loan, or the mortgage, or the rent, despite what the job might be. But at the end of the day, if your career path solely gives you feelings associated with dread, sadness, or unhappiness, then it is not worth your time whatsoever. You deserve happiness even in the most mundane of things.

I have seen people around me struggle with their careers because they hate what they're doing, but they continue to stay because it is the job that pays the bills.

This is the world we've come to. Not only is it unfair to those who don't enjoy their jobs, but it's also downright sad. Money cannot and should not be everything to someone. There is so much more to life than your expenses, and you can find happiness without a dollar sign attached to it.

This is your life, not anyone else's. It is a waste of time and energy to spend Monday through Friday going to a job that you do not enjoy for hours and hours on end, week after week. That is not the way to live, and you're doing yourself a disservice by continuing to battle through an unwanted environment. If you don't look where you are, you have the power to change it. Pursue what truly makes you happy. You owe yourself that at the very least.

Living for the weekend doesn't cut it anymore. Living each day to its very fullest takes priority, and that starts with your own individual happiness.

I am a firm believer that life is way too short to not spend it in pursuit of what you are most passionate about. It's also too short to spend it living in regret. If there's something you've always wanted to do - open your own business, start a blog, or take some cooking classes - this is the time to do it.

Money is not everything. It cannot buy happiness, no matter what people say. Happiness is found in the little things, in the people you love, and in your favorite hobbies. Finding a career that makes you genuinely happy is so much more important than feeling stuck in a career that pays well.

The scariest thing about this idea is the thought of change. Quitting your job, starting over to find something new, and potentially going into a different career field is quite the change. But you'll never know what might happen unless you try it for yourself. If you've ever had thoughts about this change, take this as your sign. Go out and find what makes you happy, both in your life and in your career. It will be worth your while.