The Job That Changed My Life: Rolling Green Golf Club

As I began to grow up and mature through high school, I had no idea that my first part-time job would have the most impact on my life.

18

As an incoming junior in high school, I was aware of the responsibilities I would need to take in order to afford a college tuition. While I began searching for jobs, the stress of becoming an adult was setting in, and I was unsure if I was going to make the right decision, which would make me comfortable in a new and foreign environment. Looking at retail stores, grocery stores, ice cream shops, and more, I found where I felt most comfortable: Rolling Green Golf Club.

Living close to this beautiful and prestigious golf club, I was unaware of all of the efforts that various employees make on a day to day basis to ensure a pleasant experience for all of their golfers. After being hired and working a couple shifts, I knew that Rolling Green Golf Club was the place for me. As a previously insecure high school student, I no longer was the shy little girl that my parents always bragged about. Working as a bus girl at Rolling Green Golf Club has its ups and downs, but I would not trade it for any other part-time job in the world due to the fact that it marked my maturity into adulthood and provided me with a group of friends that I will always be close with.

My first night working as a bus girl was terrifying to say the least. Not only was I nervous, but the walk that took five minutes to get there seemed to take five hours. Once I walked through the doors, I was greeted by a few of the waitresses, whom would be working with me that evening. While filling out paperwork to work there, I began to realize that getting a job was a big step in my life, and I was growing up by the minute. My second night working as a bus girl was still pretty terrifying, but I was definitely more comfortable around my welcoming employees. I also worked with a familiar face I knew from school. Working with her made my second night a little less stressful, and she is still one of my closest friends today, almost two years later. As I progressed through the first month or so of working as a bus girl at Rolling Green Golf Club, I made numerous friends and strong relationships with everyone I worked with.

Being trained by a young generous college girl-a girl who would soon be one of my best friends-made me excited because I love learning new things. She showed me everything there was to know, especially how to properly clear someone’s plate (given that I was a bus girl). After she showed me how to set the tables for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I realized that even though I set the table various times at home for my family, this time was different. This time was for stranger; strangers who came to Rolling Green for a nice meal with their families or fellow golfers. Working at Rolling Green Golf club changed my life in that it enabled me to do things for others while realizing the impact of providing for others.

When I first found out I got the job at Rolling Green, I expected to dread going to work, having the only inspiration to work being money. However, working there has come to mean much more to me. The money I make there is a reward I am given every week because other than the money, I have made many lifelong friends and learned about myself that I am hard-working, responsible, and most of all mature. Rolling Green has given me much more than any job I could have ever thought of and I am grateful for every moment that I spend there, no matter who I am working with.