Getting A Job As A Teen Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

I started working at 16 and truly wish I applied earlier.

238

To all the teen’s whose parents are reading this (and in turn making them get a job), you’re mad at me now but you’ll thank me later.

I applied for a job in February/March of my sophomore year in high school. Some difficulty arose in my life during Christmas break that year, and second semester I just wasn’t the same. My work ethic completely sucked. My head was in the clouds; I waited till the last second to do any homework. I was falling asleep in class… to the point where my teacher pulled me aside to confront me about it. Simply put, things were just a mess.

My family had been having financial difficulties off and on for a long time and I had been planning on getting a job. I put it off some because I wasn’t sure if I was going to play sports that year (which would be impossible with a job) but I ended up not doing it so that excuse was gone. I also knew that I had to get a work permit if I was younger than 16 and that most places would not hire me that young anyway. When February rolled around, I was both 16 and sure that I would not play any sports that year. It was about time I applied!!

It took a couple months to get through the hiring process and get my new hire training over with. The grocery store I got my job at does a lot of offsite training and I had to schedule each one usually a week or two after the other to fit in with my school schedule, so it took a while. When I finally started, it was all very nerve-racking.

I came in with little to no understanding of how having a job works. I knew no one. With time of course I became comfortable and got to know everyone. Then I still dreaded going to work just because I didn’t feel like it. I didn’t feel like going to work, seeing a bunch of coworkers whose name I knew but nothing else, and pushing carts/bagging groceries/and the like. But I kept going. I kept reminding myself that I needed the money and wanted to see how things played out there.

It was completely worth it. I did not fully see the fruits of my labor until down the road. I’m not gonna lie, sometimes I hated having to get out of bed during the summer to get ready for work. The job was/is not sunshine and roses. The state of my mental health did not help either. In time I would realize how much starting to work benefited me. Not only did it benefit my dad and I financially (with my paycheck and grocery discounts), but it helped me get out of the rut I was in. My work ethic came back.

I was up doing something, and I was doing it well. Since I started, I have moved up significantly where I work. This has ignited my ambitions. I have always been inclined to strive for my goals, but having a job has forced me to think ahead more and challenge myself to get to the next step.

I feel like I really started to get my act together after getting a job.

It also finally felt like I actually had some control, which was crucial. Difficult financial times often make you feel powerless, but having a paycheck come in each week made me feel a little better.

Working really increased my self-discipline. When it comes to discipline, it’s use it or lose it. Work had an awesome way of making sure I got up and did something on time and in uniform. It gave me something specific to strive for. When I’m on the clock, it’s one task to the next one. There aren’t excuses and distractions like when I am at home.

I'm a big advocate of teenagers having jobs. During the summer especially. Unless they are in multiple serious sports year-round or have some out of this world rigorous course load, chances are they have a lot of time on their hands even during the school year.

Parents don't feel bad for pushing your kid to get a job. Working 10-15 hours a week, or something light, will not hurt them or steal their youth. Working at a grocery store when I did was one of the best decisions I've ever made other than Dual Enrollment. I wish I started earlier.

Getting a job with the right mindset will be a source of satisfaction and life experience for any young person. Plus instead of eating up all of your money in their free time, they'll be making some. #PutKidsToWork #GrownKidsThough #AnIdleMIndIsTheDevilsWorkshop