My First Job

When I started working at the Pretzel Maker in my local mall, I was a very shy and quiet 16 year old. I was just looking for an after school gig to earn some money, while still having time to have some sort of social time. I quickly learned that's not how that works.

My coworkers were all older than I was, so I was instantly the "baby of the family". I loved all of the people I worked with, even though many times I have wanted to rip their heads off. I have went through multiple managers and countless employees, and somehow I am the last one remaining from the original bunch at my store after a long 2 years.

My job has taught me many things, the main thing being that I know for sure that I wish to get out of the minimum wage industry as fast as possible. It was a great first job, don't get me wrong, but my gosh I cannot wait to have an actual job that has a set schedule everyday and one that earns a little more than California's $10 minimum wage. I usually walk out of work relieved to have finally clocked off, and there have been times where I walk out with tears of frustration in my eyes, but there have also been times where I have walked out with the biggest smile on my face, just thinking about how much I love the people that the job has introduced me to.

Between the people who actually worked in my store and the employees who have held jobs in other stores in the mall that get drinks from the store, I have seen people from all walks of life. I have seen people get engaged, people get divorced, people get pregnant, people get injured, people get hired, people get fired. You name it and I can tell you someone who had that experience, and probably their usual order honestly. I can say with confidence that each and every person taught me something that I carry with me today, many lessons being that "tomorrow is a new day".

I am still with my job after all this time, and I am fortunate to be able to come back from school and work for the holidays and summer time to earn a few bucks to help me make it through the following semester. When I come back, I am expecting things to be different, I know that change is inevitable, but I know that I am able to walk back in through the door and know that I am back home.