An Application And Interview Can Be A Little More Difficult When You're LGBTQ+
Identities

The primary question in a job application is asking that of your biological name, not your preferred name.

256
https://unsplash.com/photos/rRWiVQzLm7k
Unsplash

Job applications have not changed over the years except for the fact that they are now electronic opposed to just paper copies. There are still the first, middle, last name slots, but individuals of the LGBTQ are not considered because there is no preferred name slot. If I could, I would leave the name field empty as there is a grey area between applying under my biological name and wanting to apply under my preferred name.

I kid you not, the second or third question of an online job application asks individuals to identify as one or the other: male or female. I have yet to see a job application that allows an individual to write or choose "other" in a job application. Because I am biologically female, I choose female. So, what happens when I am getting ready for a job interview and they are expecting a female applicant because that is how I have to identify according to the application, right?

Certainty how I dress is important to me during an interview and honestly, I feel confident when I wear my button-downs, slacks, and Steve Maddens. But, after stepping forth in the building, I proceed with "My name is Erin and I have an interview withā€¦" my confidence changes in my voice, eye contact, and body language. Because I am a female applicant named Erin based on my application. Too, I have never been asked my preferred name once sitting down with the interviewer. Knowing that the LGBTQ population has risen in the US since 2012, it is time that questions revolving around preferred names or pronouns be addressed before starting the actual interview process since applications do not address preferred names or pronouns.

Although I have never presented myself as Ian in an interview, I have asked myself multiple times why and I am brought back to the same reasoning: I am not comfortable with the interviewer, I do not know when to address the topic of my identity as it is may not be viewed as professionally acceptable, and the application process has already identified me as male or female. Of course, one can tell me if I am not comfortable with the interviewer, then why would I want to work there anyway? And for me, I would not work for that company, however, what if I needed this job as a means of income and stability? Some individuals that accept a job may be accepting it due to other factors rather than passing an opportunity because they did not feel comfortable.

Truthfully, I have settled with a job where I felt uncomfortable. When first hired, I asked for a name badge spelled "Arin" and I was given one, but after a few months when the badges were changed, I was presented with my name spelled "Erin". As I was told, it was the same name, right? Wrong. Thus, why would I feel comfortable as Ian? So, I quit and since have moved on, but some individuals cannot simply quit because they feel uncomfortable. Thankfully the job I am at now has changed my name to Ian. Although this does not mean I am always identified as Ian, I at least have a badge with the name I prefer.

Secondly, I have always been told to keep personal business out of the work place. Thus, I find a grey area when wanting to address how I identify because it is personal. But I can jokingly say it would make for one heck of a first impression. I would be remembered and that (most of the time) is what we are aiming for in interviews anyway, correct?

In conclusion, applications should not be so binary as to have only two options for gender identity and add a place for preferred names. In turn, this would help with feeling comfortable. It has taken me twenty-three years and still counting to figure myself out and going into an interview should feel like a step forward instead of a step back with a past identity.