'SAW' Movie Moves From 'Legacy' To 'Jigsaw'

The working title could have hinted the plot.
110

He’s back! Or at least, his name sake is making a comeback.

Anyone who is a fan of horror is well acquainted with the classic icons. You have Freddy Krueger of the “Nightmare” franchise, Jason Voorhees of the Friday franchise, Chucky of the “Childsplay” franchise, amongst many others, all of which have been in hiatus or have put a period at the end of the installments all together. This halloween, everyone's favorite mastermind is coming back in the newest installment of the “Saw” franchise.

Originally, the film had been shooting under the title “Saw: Legacy”, which gave a vague hint as to what exactly would be in store for the viewers. However, Lionsgate has renamed the movie just this week, retitling it under the title character's name as simply: “Jigsaw”.

Because of this new information, and reminding horror fans that there would be yet another film in the works questions arise. What is the plot of the movie? (Yes, it might just be a torture porn to some, but there are plots!) Why is it different? And most importantly, Who is Jigsaw?

To make predictions, we need to look back on the past six movies and observe patterns in storyline as well as characters’ development.

In 2004, the Saw franchise was launched by ameture film director, James Wan, and is notorious for being set in one single area for the majority of the film. Two characters, Adam, a photographer, and Lawrence Gordon, an oncologist, wake up shackled to a room with only a corpse holding a revolver and a microcassette recorder, and a back containing two saws.

As every Saw film goes, the two men are left conflicted about what tasks to complete: Adam, who must sever his own limb in order to escape, or Lawrence Gordon, who must kill Adam by six p.m. in order to save his family. Without spoiling anything due to the twists and turns of the movie’s franchise, a decision is made.

Throughout their conflict, we see flashbacks depicting John Kramer, the real Jigsaw killer, who is diagnosed with brain cancer, which leads to his reign of torture throughout communities in hoping to teach others to be grateful for the life they had.

What intrigues me is that this series could potentially keep going, but at the same time it has come to a halt. As long as the movies are good, they could continue to produce one every few years like they have been doing. But in order to do that, they must change the story up. And Kramer has cancer, so someone else must take over for the next six movies, right?

Everyone to take over Jigsaw’s role (his apprentices, if you will) has been a minor character from a film prior, or related to Jigsaw in some way. In total, there have been three apprentices in the “Saw” films that are known.

Even with a new Jigsaw at play, the movies can get boring if it’s just continuous torture. The story line needs to be changed from one person to another, and since this is the first I have heard of the new movie being put out, I decided to go looking for any clues I could find at what is going to make this movie different.

After further looking into the films imdb page, there is not really anything mentioned with the exception of the brief synopsis which states:

“Dead bodies begin to turn up all over the city, each meeting their demise in a variety of grisly ways. All investigations begin to point the finger at deceased killer John Kramer.“

Which is generally the story for every Saw film to date, which is understandable because part of the “SAW” franchise popularity is the mystery. That being said, Tobin Bell, who has played Jigsaw in each film up to date, is listed as well in the credits so an appearance is expected unless credits are edited closer to the release date.

Videos have been uploaded to the Saw Official youtube page that tease the plot, but don’t tive anything away too obscure. What we can see from the videos so far are as follows:

• Teaser #1: This doesn’t look like the same extravagant room’s we are use to in the franchise. It looks like a shed, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Jigsaw is known to have been showy in the past with traps and presentation, and this does not feel like the Jigsaw we’ve come to know. The title cards also read “A new game” and “A new way to die” which, to be quite honest, I have no idea what that could mean. Aren’t all the games new? I have never seen a “reverse bear trap” before this, and don’t plan to.
  • Teaser #2: Doctor Gordon will make an appearance in a trap,
  • Teaser #3: There will be a kidnapping. This gives me the idea that this is how the apprenticeship starts- which is twisted in itself, considering it is a young kid. Jigsaw can’t hurt a kid because he has done nothing wrong, and Jigsaw only punishes those who have done made grave mistakes.

The last piece of information we have is the title. “Jigsaw” does not give much to the imagination, but the working title may give some hint. As stated, the original working title up until this week was “Jigsaw: Legacy”. Now, it may be a long shot, but my previous guess stands firm with the title. The film may have something to do with apprenticeship at it’s center, and not just the traps, or the life lessons, which I think could be an interesting thing to see on screen. In the past, we have seen brief clips of the apprentices at work, but never a story.

“Jigsaw” is set to come out Halloween of 2017.