7 Ways To Keep Jesus As The Center Of Your Christmas Time

Remember: He is the whole, entire, only reason for this season

255
www.f-covers.com

Christmas is quickly approaching and the world is excited. People are scrambling to get last minute gifts. (Or, if you are like me, you are just starting shopping) Everyone is looking forward to a much needed break from work or school. Cookies are being baked by the dozen. (Or like, the 12 dozen) Decorations are being hung, trees are being put up, lights are shining from the roof of just about every house, and meals and family get-togethers are being planned. Presents are being wrapped in beautiful paper, movies are being watched every night, and hot coco is being drank. (I have no problem watching "Elf" every day in December) Everyone is going ice skating, going caroling, visiting giant Christmas trees, and going to light shows. Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling yoo-hoo, and there must be a partridge in a pear tree somewhere, right?

But where is Jesus?

You know that catchy phrase "Jesus is the reason for the season"? Yeah, that's the truth. He is the entire reason we are celebrating. He is the reason you get to take off three weeks of school. (We should probably thank Him for that) He is the reason we see our families and bake insane amounts of cookies. Well at least, He should be. All of those listed activities and traditions are wonderful things, but if we aren't making Jesus the center of everything we are doing for Christmas, if we aren't putting Jesus first and remembering that this is all for Him, then we are doing it all wrong.

So how do we keep Jesus as the reason?

1. Keep the presents to a minimum

Christmas isn't about the presents, those are just an added bonus. There is nothing wrong with giving presents; it is a great and kind thing. However, do not let the presents be the star of Christmas. Do not become so involved in and overwhelmed with the material, that you lose sight of what the entire season is about. Have a few presents, then spend some time enjoying them with your family.

2. Start the day with Jesus

This is something we should do everyday, but most especially on Christmas. Start the day with Jesus. Thank Him. Talk to Him. Read your Bible and pray. Gage your focus on Him first, so that He can be your focus all day.

3. Make your gifts

I always seem to find the most love in the gifts that are handmade for me. Those special gifts that are thoughtful, and time consuming. Homemade gifts are meaningful, and a great way to show love on this day.

4. Sing happy birthday to Jesus

Wouldn't you be a little disappointed if the people who meant the most to you made your birthday all about them? They opened presents, ate good food, and didn't even sing to you? Luckily, Jesus is above that. And Jesus loves to see us give to one another. BUT, the truth remains that this is His day, not ours. It's not about us.

5. Pray before your meals as a family

This is another one of those things that we should be doing everyday. Make it a point to do this on Christmas. Christmas is a day filled with the absolute pouring out of blessings. We have so much to thank God for. And He deserves our time.

6. Do something for someone else

While we all may be blessed enough to celebrate Christmas in a warm home with good food and fellowship, there are countless people who do not. Homelessness does not take a holiday. Hunger does not take a holiday. So take the time to do something to help others who need it most. Take time to pray for them.

7. Read the Christmas story

Reflect on Jesus's humble beginnings, on the star and the angel, on the wise men who came from afar to see Jesus, and on that most Holy night that has forever changed our lives for the better. What a beautiful story

Merry Christmas, and may God bless you and your families as we look to Him in this beautiful season.