I Interviewed An Aspiring Musician, And He Could Be Our Generation's Next Big Thing

Since I was young, I always had a passion for music and always wondered about the thought process and inspirations that musicians have. A good friend of mine who I have known since the start of high school is an aspiring musician. He played shows at school and outside of school. So I decided what better person than someone who I think holds a lot of potential in a musician's future, Jesse Osornio.

1) Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Jesse Osornio, I'm seventeen years old and I've had this passion for music forever. It's been more than ten years, but I just recently started really getting into it. I started learning guitar and now I want to start learning other instruments such as the saxophone and piano. I come from a really poor family and I want to become a musician. I want to study music and make music of my own. I'm for sure going to study it and maybe even teach it to others once I become a professional. It'd be cool to teach.

2) What pushed you to pursue music?

So, in my family there are a lot of musicians and they are all from Mexico. A cousin of mine wants to be a composer, so he has to learn all the string and wind instruments. My dad used to be in a band and was very well known in Mexico. My family really inspired me to play music.

3) Who are your musical inspirations?

My musical inspirations are John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and B.B. King.

4) How have these inspirations influenced you?

John Mayer influenced me because he plays all kinds of music: he plays blues, jazz, rock, and even country. Sometimes before his songs, he plays a little bit by himself on the guitar...he carries the whole rhythm. I want to play like him because of the way he uses his fingertips instead of a pick to play percussion on the strings. Stevie Ray Vaughan, he only plays blues. I think I was the most influenced by him because of just how he plays. In his solos...they're just simple solos. He adds a lot of distortion with the way he bends the notes. He influenced me a lot through the way he feels the music when he plays. He's the reason I got into blues. B.B King also plays blues, he influenced me because when he plays solos, he adds notes in the minor key. That's where I got a bit of my style from, if you listen to my music it's like psychedelic and it's not supposed to make sense.

5) How would you describe your style/genre of music?

I play any genre really. I can play blues and some jazz. Though, my style is mainly blues or country. When I'm solo-ing, it sounds more like blues, but if I'm just playing rhythm, it kind of sounds like funk. In the band I was in, we were described as a blues-funk band.

6) What is your creative process like when thinking of chords/lyrics?

So, it's weird because when I try to come up with a song or a chord progression, I can't. Most of the time, while daydreaming, I get these ideas for chords. I could be doing anything when I come up with the ideas! Once I get home, I grab my guitar and try to figure out what I was thinking. I also like experimenting a lot with different tunings on my guitars. I just make up my own chords by tuning my guitars. With lyrics, it's hard to come up with. I'm not the best at writing lyrics since it's hard to write them. I'm trying to get better at writing them though.

7) If you could open a show for any artist who would it be?

I think if I could open up a show for anyone, it would probably be Stevie Ray Vaughan. I'd open a show for him since I mostly play blues and my style in solo-ing is like his. I know some of his songs, so I would open a show with one of his songs.

8) You've performed on stages before, which of those times was your most memorable? And why?

I performed at the House of Blues in Anaheim with my old band, you can probably find videos of us performing on Youtube I think. We performed "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. We asked for the lights to be turned down and for the audience to take out their flashlights. It felt really cool. We had a sold out show of about 800 people.

9) If you could describe yourself in 5 songs which would they be and why?

"Parachutes" by Coldplay: This song describes me because I am patient and will wait as long as I have to get what I want.

"Indica Badu" by Logic: This song talks about smoking weed and just being yourself. When I'm in my creative process in writing music, I don't need that. The song has a really mellow and cool beat, just a really chill vibe. I'd like to describe myself as a really chill person.

"Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" by Logic: This song is about Logic reading hate comments online, which compare him to other rappers. I've never had to deal with hate, but this song has always gotten to me. It's probably always gotten to me because in the future when I start releasing music, I know that I will be looking at the hate comments and they may get to me.

"Us and Them" by Pink Floyd: The lyrics to this song talk about putting an end to all the hate in the world. My goal is for the world to be in peace without any war or violence.

"Sultans of Swing" by The Dire Straits: This song describes not only me, but the band I was in. No matter how many people showed up to the show, we still performed as if there were 1,000 people watching us. We performed our hearts out.

10) What is your favorite lyric that you have written and why?

So, I'm not good at writing lyrics, but my favorite verse that I've written is, "In the windows of my mind/it's her I always seem to find/in corners of my eye/ it's love and no one can deny/I've tried and let her be/ but only her my heart could see/on edges of my sill/my soul begins to over spill." That's probably the best thing I've written, the rest are pretty simple. Nothing wrong with simplicity, there's brilliance to simplicity. It's my favorite because a friend of mine helped me write it.

11) What can we hope to expect in the future?

So, as you know I'm studying music. I'm going to study to be a professional musician, so you could expect me to start teaching in the future. You are also going to get music from me, whether I join a band or not. Expect a lot of music in a variety of genres! Hopefully I will one day play in big venues or stadiums. I just hope everyone likes my music. I'll make sure to stay humble and close to my roots.

If you would like to check out his instagram is: @imchessie