8 Things You Miss About New Jersey When You're Not There

New Jersey: attitude capital of the world.

316
Tumblr

Going to school across the country has made me realize that for the 18 years I spent in what I thought was the worst state ever, I took for granted the things I never knew I wouldn't have. When you come to college and you're meeting new people and you come across a couple of fellow New Jersey natives, you can't help but talk about what you miss the most about home. All in all, you never thought you'd miss these things. And no, not everyone is friends with Snooki and the rest of the "Jersey Shore" cast.

1. The Bagels

Let's face it, you won't find a good bagel anywhere else besides New Jersey (and New York). There's nothing like going to the bagel store every morning before school and on the weekends. Einstein's just won't suffice!!

2. The Pizza

Even the west coasters I know can speak for us too when people from New Jersey say that the pizza is THE BEST THING EVER!!!! Everyone's first stop when they're home for breaks is to their favorite pizza place or any Italian restaurant for a quality slice. Needless to say that our pizza is the best tasting (and the best looking)!!

3. Wawa

I don't think anyone from New Jersey (especially my hometown) can live without Wawa. You name it, Wawa has it. When I say that, you're probably thinking that it's just like any other convenience store...but no. Wawa has AMAZING hoagies (or subs), mac and cheese, and of course...coffee! Oh, and what's better than hoagiefest?

4. Good Diners

Everywhere you go, you'll have a diner or somewhere to go when you're starving but have no idea what you want to eat. After much consideration and trying different places that call themselves "diners", nothing beats a good grilled cheese or Matzo ball soup from the diner back home.

5. Not Having an "Accent"

I don't hear it whatsoever but apparently all my friends from New Jersey (and all over the east coast for that matter) have accents. The way some of us say things like "water" or even "New Jersey" makes people laugh or starts a conversation about how we say other words.

6. Being So Close to New York City

Want to see a good hockey game? Make a day out of it and go into the city. Want to eat at a nice restaurant? Go into the city. You don't know where to go for your birthday dinner? Go into the city. Why not take advantage? You're only a train ride or a car ride away!!

7. The Beach

Where I'm from, we're an hour to an hour and a half from every beach. You know where everyone is during the summer (or some mornings watching the sun rise)!

8. Having Seasons

Since I go to school in Arizona, it's warm all year round. The coldest weather you'll see during the day is like a nice spring day back home. Not that I'm complaining (because trust me, I'm not), but it would be nice with all the schoolwork to have a snow day here and there.