Jazz: The American Dream

Jazz: The American Dream

Jazz it up.

617
Jazz: The American Dream
YouTube

What is Jazz? Some would say that it is simply a music genre that began in the late 19th century and never stopped growing and progressing -- however, I don’t think that is right. Jazz is not just a music genre -- it is a way of life, a spiritual force that will never die. In the simplest way Jazz is a metaphor for the United States, constantly progressing, growing, but with that growth comes two things, a good side and a bad side. Jazz, if not controlled will control the musician and the musician will succumb. Good musicians have two choices -- rise above the hardships and become a legend or succumb to Jazz and become washed up. Modern Jazz musicians look up to the legends like Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane and Glenn Miller. As a Jazz drummer, I worshiped guys liked Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Gene Krupa and in particular Jo “Papa” Jones. These guys were the best of the best when it came to Jazz and they too were given a choice to sacrifice and become a legend or quit -- it’s self-evident that they did not choose the latter. When their hands were nothing but blisters, when blast-beating for an eternity, they chose to rise above it. Blood soaked the sticks, blanketed the drums, and dripped from the cymbals but they chose to finish strong like true Americans.

To begin writing a Jazz Comp (composition), we need a solid foundation -- like America, we need our Constitution. The simplest way to start is by using three chords found commonly in Jazz known as the 2-5-1 (ii-V-I) chord progression. In music, these chords are triads or chords that have three notes and sometimes four notes. We’ll go ahead and make things easy by writing in the key of C. So, our ii-chord would be based on the D or the second degree of the scale and comprises of the notes D, F and A. Our V-chord is formed on the fifth-degree of the scale, which would be G and the notes would be G, B and D. Our I-chord would be built on the first-degree of the scale, meaning C and the notes would be C, E and G. Jazz tends to be more mysterious and funky, so don’t be afraid to add spice like using a complex time signature like 5/4 (five quarter notes in one measure) or 7/8 (seven eighth-notes in one measure). The next thing we’ll do is use notes in our chords to write a melody that fills in the gaps between chords. The melody holds everything together like glue and must be strong, to add the spice to the melody we might add some rhythmic variety to our chords so it is Jazzy sounding.

While Jazz is supposed to be fun and upbeat, it also has its deep moments where it explores the emotions of broken hearts. Jazz also has a reputation for drug and alcohol abuse, many of the greats frequently used drugs. Charlie “Bird” Parker, a legendary saxophonist, died at the age of 34 from pneumonia and a bleeding ulcer, but it was known that Bird had cirrhosis and had suffered a heart attack due to his addiction to heroin. Bird was known to miss many performances due to his addiction and at one point became unemployable due to his addiction to drugs and alcohol. At the age of 34, a great artist passed unexpectedly due to a preventable cause -- however, new research shows that drugs may actually enhance creativity. Of course these studies are still in the infant stages -- it is widely speculated that many of the Jazz greats may not have been who they became if it hadn’t been for narcotics. In a lot of ways, the overdoses had to happen to Jazz in the same way wars, gangs and tragic events had to happen to America, both while negative causes both produced positive effects, Americans became stronger and Jazz became greater and more appreciated.

Jazz music has numerous benefits for listeners and performers alike. Jazz has healing effects. Many instruments used in Jazz are used for music therapy and can help those in recovery from different traumas to addictions. Jazz benefits those with heart problems. Studies show that after listening to Jazz music, those studied had lower blood pressure than before they started listening. Jazz also has a soothing effect on the brain and is known to reduce migraine lengths and prevent headaches and migraines. Dancing to Jazz encourages activity and gets the body moving increasing flexibility, as well as getting the blood moving. Playing Jazz increases endurance, builds strength and encourages discipline in skill and behavior. However, if one plans on listening to Jazz or performing Jazz under the influence of heroin, opium, or any alcohol, they should not expect any of these said benefits and should check themselves into a rehabilitation center.

I’ve learned a lot in my years of musicianship and I’ve learned much more in Jazz band. Jazz is founded on collective improvisation and embodies many democratic principles. Jazz teaches you how to think on your feet and be able to create on the fly. Jazz forces musicians to step outside of their comfort zones, create and lead. Jazz enforces the value of teamwork and open-mindedness -- you must be willing to take criticism and that criticism may be emotionally draining. Jazz is unlike any other music scene, because in Jazz there are no rules. Jazz allows creative expression and plays off emotions. In band you have to follow the music to the dot, but Jazz is organized chaos and allows musicians to explore themselves, their instruments and abilities as young musicians. Jazz is liberating, Jazz is America, and like America Jazz allows for free expression of thought and emotion. What sets Jazz apart from other genres of music and what sets America apart from other countries is that both embody freedom -- freedom of thought, freedom of creation, freedom of expression, freedom to invent and freedom to be an innovator. America hands-down is one of the greatest countries in the world for the simple fact that America is still the only country on earth that allows you to either work little and be nothing or work hard and become great. Only in America and Jazz do you truly get that choice -- you must choose to follow the right path to grow and become who you were truly meant to be, and that is what Jazz has given to me.