I Can't Choose Between Michael and Rafael On Jane The Virgin

'Jane The Virgin' Is Back And I Still Can't Choose Between Michael And Rafael

The love triangle is back and more complicated than ever, leaving me as torn and confused as our Jane herself.

101

"Jane the Virgin" is a show predicated on a telenovela-style love triangle between Jane, Michael, and Rafael. If you are a fan of the show you most likely fall into two categories, team Cordueva or team Jafael. For me, I started season one being more Rafael but became team Michael in season three. So when he died, I was conflicted because I had grown so fond of them as a married couple. Since that season, Jane and Rafael have gotten back together and were just about to get engaged on the last season finale. Until the show surprises all of us with Michael's return from the dead.

The season opener was a whirlwind of emotion. On one hand, I felt Rafael's pain and I want him to get his happy ending with Jane and their son. On the other hand, I can't help but feel drawn to the amnesia storyline between Michael and Jane. It is heartbreaking to watch Michael not remember the girl that he loved so much and to not get the reunion that these two deserve. I have to give Gina props as she is acting out Jane's feelings beautifully and it is amazing to watch. It is clear to see her divided feelings and I'm certain her decision will change a lot throughout the season.

At the end of the episode, Jane decides that she wants to be with Rafael. She also chooses to keep Michael in Miami and help him get his memories back. While this seems like a win for Jafael fans, the narrator assures that the journey will not be as simple as that. Furthermore, the last scene between Michael and Jane offers a glimpse of hope that their story doesn't end here. It is difficult at this point to know what couple will end up together by the time the show is over this season, but the writers will definitely keep us on our toes.

I feel like it would be wrong to keep Michael as 'Jason' (AKA his amnesia-self) forever. Michael fans deserve to see the real him again and his character deserves a proper ending. It is hard for me to imagine Michael being himself and not ending up with Jane. Of course, it's been four years since they have seen each other and a lot has changed. Still, Jane chose to marry Michael because he was the one for her. Is Rafael really the person she should end up with, or is he the second choice because Michael died? That is the question the writers seem to be posing. Also, if Michael had returned as his old self, would Jane be running back into his arms? That remains to be seen.

It is evident that Jane is still connected to both Michael and Rafael at this point. Her breakdown over Michael demonstrates that whether she can admit it or not, she still loves him. And yet, before he returned, she was ready to start her forever with Rafael. I for one wish both couples could get their happy ending. I love all three characters and truly believe they all deserve happiness and love. One thing is clear, both team Michael and team Rafael fans cannot win. One side will end up disappointed. I will be both happy and sad at either outcome, but I hope by the end of the season it is more clear who she belongs with. And I hope that ultimately the writers make the best decision and find a way to make everyone happy. Either way, it will be a very entertaining last season for Jane the Virgin fans. Good luck everyone!