Jackson Reflects On His Career As A Young Educator

Meet Pre-Engineering teacher and photographer, Jarvais Jackson.

30
Aaron Smalls

“A teacher is a compass that activates the magnets of curiosity, knowledge, and wisdom in the pupils.” - Ever Garrison

Jarvais Jackson is a Spring 2016 graduate of Winthrop University where he studied Elementary Education.

He is currently a Pre-Engineering teacher at Hand Middle School where he teaches grades 6th – 8th based on a STEM curriculum. He also advises the school’s chapter of FBLA. There is more to him that meets the eye.

Check out his Q/A below:

Shakora Bamberg: Tell me about your role at Winthrop including any leadership roles, recognition, and positions you held while a student at WU.

Jarvais Jackson: I was elected as an Annual Member to the Council of Student Leaders my freshman year and served through junior year. I served as a committee chair to a few committees and ultimately was elected to serve as Student Body Vice President my Junior Year.

I also, along with some faculty and other students created LIFT (Leadership Institute for First-Timers). It started as an idea stemming from a conference we attended at the University of South Carolina, I took the idea to Dean Marlowe and received her blessing and support. The conference will be happening for the fourth time this spring.

I also served as the VP for Communications and President for RSA, the College Ministry Leader at Freedom Temple Ministries and the Co-Chair to the student group when selecting President Mahony.

During my senior year, I served as a Student Organizer for The South Carolina Education Association and a member of the Advisory Board for Student Members with the National Education Association. In these roles, I assisted students at Winthrop create a chapter of The South Carolina Education Association. One of my proudest moments at Winthrop was joining the ELITE Xi Phi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

SB: What is one thing that you love about Winthrop, why did you choose WU?

JJ: I like how Winthrop challenges you to be all you can be. Fight through the challenges and SOAR.

SB: When did you realize that you wanted to be a teacher? Where did this passion come from?

JJ: I remember clear as day while in the 2nd grade at Lemira Elementary School in Mrs. Barkley’s class that I wanted to be a teacher and I wanted to go to Winthrop. I heard from a member of my church that there were a lot of girls and I don’t think I knew much about any other colleges so that’s where I wanted to be. At home, I remember always wanting to play school with my sister even if she did not want to.

That quickly changed over the years when I realized how much teachers make and I wanted to go into the business and law world. I was going to be a CEO or a Lawyer and make 100,000+. I figured I was good at selling ANYTHING and I can argue for days and win so what the heck. It was all good until I decided to do an internship at the elementary school I attended my senior year of high school; that’s when I was brought full circle. I knew then I wanted to be an educator to be a role model for young African American males. I wanted to teach High School Math but the young ones stole my heart.

SB: What is a typical school work day like for you?

JJ: I come in and have planning first period where I’m making copies, placing orders and other things to prepare for my classes. I see my 7th graders first then 8th and lastly my 6th-grade students. I play my music to get my day started.

SB: How did classes at Winthrop and past internships help you prepare to be an effective educator?

JJ: While tough, my internships and classes have put me in interesting experiences that gave me a chance to be exposed to a lot of things since teaching.

With my internship, I was able to gain a mentor that has assisted me through the whole job search process and even since I have started teaching.

In my roles with The SCEA and NEA, I have traveled to Orlando, New Orleans, and D.C. for various conferences and meetings and that has allowed me to learn so much to make me a better person and also allowed me to network.

SB: When you’re not busy teaching what do you like to do for fun?

JJ: I like to shop, do graphics and photography and hang out with friends.

SB: How can potential clients book you for a photoshoot?

JJ: Anyone is welcome to visit my website at www.jarvaisjackson.com and Instagram "doublejphotosall" of my contact information is there.

SB: Who is your role model?

JJ: My role models in the education field are: Mrs. Ayana Brice, a Rock Hill Educator, Dr. Norris Williams, a Rock Hill Administrator and Dr. Crystal Glover, a Winthrop professor.

SB: What is an interesting fact about you?

JJ: I have an obsession with shopping that has recently poured over into couponing.

SB: What advice would you give to the freshman class especially the young men entering the same career path as you?

JJ: FIND A MENTOR !!!! It can be discouraging sometimes but our students need you. Find a balance, get involved in what interest you and build a network and brand.

SB: How would you tell these young men how to best prepare for college?

JJ: Remember what your reason for college is. Find a routine, I studied Sunday through Thursday and took me time during the weekend. Find what works for you and get a good balance.

SB: What are your long-term career goals?

JJ: I am currently working to enroll in an M.Ed. program for Counselor Education. I would like to be a high school counselor next and ultimately obtain my Ed.D and do consulting. I’d like to work for the state and federal government one day.

Keep an eye out for this young educator as he continues to change his student’s lives.