J.Cole Has Used Rap To Inspire Younger Generations

His music speaks to those who truly listen

174

The American tax system, music, and inequities. What could they possibly have in common? They all come together in J. Cole's song "BRACKETS." J. Cole is often recognized for using his platform to speak on his political beliefs and his particular theme covering taxes in "BRACKETS" appears to be his most successful; the issues raised in this satire are extremely valid, they question the government and tell the story of inequity in America from the perspective of an individual who suffered from it himself. He tells the story of his own experience when climbing up the ladder of social status into a new tax bracket from an underprivileged neighborhood, and how the view has changed. Ironically, the listener first experiences a sample of Richard Pryor, a comedian who was widely regarded as one of the most influential comedians, who brags about the amount of money he makes. The sample is unexpected, it amuses the listener and draws them in. J. Cole samples him to not only emphasize the power of money but to set the tone. Pryor was a comedian who often stuck to the genre of political satire. Cole is foreshadowing—he is hinting at the theme of his song and how satire will play into the structure of his verses while simultaneously implementing a need for change. J. Cole successfully uses his platform and personal experiences to tell his story and shed light on the American tax system, which has been long overdue for reform, and the inequities that minorities, specifically those in lower-income neighborhoods, face as a result of the systems failure to meet their basic human needs.

Rap music is often a response to marginalization and white supremacy. J. Coles "BRACKETS" very much feeds this idea, it begins as a comedic response to the amount of taxes he must pay upon entering a new tax bracket, then gradually his lyrics become very similar to the idea behind political cartoons. Political cartoons are often drawn to bring attention to an issue; the use of exaggeration, ridicule, and irony is often present in a powerful image, in hopes of bringing about a change in the world. At first glance, these satirical cartoons do not seem to say much; but then we take a closer look at the details, how is the character drawn, what is he saying in the word bubble? And then it becomes clear, we interpret the cartoon to have a much deeper meaning, we see the truth that lies behind a humorous work of art. "BRACKETS" is a response to marginalization as much as it is a satire. It begins with a sample from Richard Pryor that initially makes us laugh, but by the end of the song, we realize that while it may have been funny, the sample was an instrumental tool to draw us in; and the lyrics tell a very harsh reality. Cole and Pryor brag about the money they have, as individuals who came from nothing, money seems to be everything. They feel a sense of relief knowing that they are financially secure. But then Coles lyrics take a wild turn when Uncle Sam calls. He must give half of his salary, an obvious exaggeration, to Uncle Sam and it becomes a wake-up call from his own ignorance.

J. Cole is often recognized for his tendency to incorporate political issues in his verses. He uses his platform to bring awareness to the inequities and privileges in America; he often exposes the oppression of African Americans living in poverty. His most recent album, titled "KOD", takes on addiction and portrays the real consequences of growing up with an addict. However, he doesn't stop solely at the theme of addiction; the eighth track on the album attacks the American tax system and what it means to the individuals living in poverty who are directly affected by lack of funding in education, social status, gun violence, and an unfair tax system. He questions where it is that his tax dollars are truly going because the community around him has not seen any of the promises that the government claims will be fixed with tax dollars. He blames the disadvantages marginalized individuals see in education, the inefficiency of Democracy, the lack of representation, and several other issues on the inability of the government to efficiently use tax dollars to address issues in the community.

The American tax system sounds like a good idea; pay your taxes and you will see that money reflected in your community and quality of life. Government workers get paid, our schools and roads are funded, and public places such as libraries and parks are funded, right? In a perfect world, that is the plan. But how is America truly using our taxes? "BRACKETS" (J.cole), released three days after national tax day, questions the efficiency of the government to allocate tax money to all the right places. J. Cole addresses the issue bravely when he says, "I pay taxes, so much taxes, shit doesn't make sense/where do my dollars go, you see lately I ain't been convinced."He is frustrated, as an individual who rose from poverty to great wealth, he quickly recognizes the amount of money he must pay in taxes and how it doesn't seem to be coming back to benefit his community. In 1948 the Federal Government spent forty billion dollars annually (40 Billion Dollar Question: What does the Government budget mean to the Citizen), in 2018 the federal budget rose to 4.1 trillion. This was due largely as a result of post-war expenses and the rise in prices (inflation). With prices increasing and the cost of living rising in general, the more money is taken for services provided by the government. These services include but are not limited to national defense, international commitments, veterans, interest on the debt, government aids, and trust accounts. Ironically, according to the League of Women Voters, government aids, such as social welfare programs accounted for only "...3% of total federal expenditures." J. Cole actively stresses that the issue with taxes is that they fail to meet the needs of those in poverty who benefit from such welfare programs. When looking at how we are spending this money it is easiest to assume that we must cut funding for welfare programs, however, welfare programs do not seem to be where we are irresponsibly spending tax dollars. The most underprivileged areas in which minorities reside are at a disadvantage; they suffer the consequences of a government that doesn't allocate their resources wisely.

The American government spends a majority of tax money on defense, and even today there is a steady increase in the number of dollars going towards national defense. So what is the problem? We are willing as a country to invest more money into weapons than into the basic human needs of our citizens. In 2019 alone, there have been more than 21 mass shootings in America (Keneally). How can we spend such a large chunk of tax money on national defense (guns) and then be appalled by the gun violence in our own country? National defense is, of course, important but how much is too much? We spend insane amounts to fund the normalization of gun violence and to be "free" but it backfires. We are not free when there are children dying in schools or when mass shootings have become an American tradition.

In "Brackets", one of the issues J. Cole mentions extensively is the quality and representation that is not found in education, despite taxes increasing in America. He mentions that fewer disadvantaged students graduate because "...they ain't got the tools…" With South Carolina (Cole's hometown) being ranked 33rd (Americas Health Rankings) for 2018, 82.6% of students graduated within 4 years of starting the ninth grade. While this may seem like a majority of students are graduating, we must keep in mind that the 17.4% who aren't graduating still matter, and they are often made up of marginalized, low-income individuals. The issue of funding education has always been present, yet there seems to be no progress to ensure that students, regardless of social status or geographical location, can receive the education that they deserve. What does this mean for minorities living in poverty? Their situation becomes even more extreme because they are already underprivileged. When your skin is brown and the education system is failing you, the chances that you will dig yourself out of a cycle of poverty and inequity become very slim, because your education determines more than your salary. According to data presented in America's Health Rankings, education affects your health and can be a predictor for either a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle. Lack of education or the failure to graduate can often result in health issues such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, anxiety, and depression. This ultimately means that those who do not graduate high school may live shorter unhealthier lives. In addition to education showing a correlation to poor health, it also affects our unemployment rate and ultimately, our economy. Funding education and targeting areas with disadvantaged individuals is the most logical solution; the quality of education in America is everybody's problem.

In recent years Oklahoma has seen a rise in protests demanding for their teachers to be paid more, and for their education to be taken more seriously. In "Brackets" J. Cole argues that systematic oppression is due largely to the lack of "tools" in schools made up of students living in poverty. The article "When It Comes to Education Spending, Whos Right?" validates his argument; although he grew up in North Carolina, the lack of or misuse of school funding is a pattern that can be seen from state to state. Education is an issue that has recently gained momentum and greatly affects future generations; J. Cole's ability to incorporate real-life issues into the music he knows younger generations are listening to is why this piece of satire is so important. We are so caught up in listening to music or other forms of art that in no way contribute to our knowledge. J. Cole knows the platform that he holds, and he uses that to spread awareness of the issues in our community today. Disadvantages in education go deeper than just the surface, and he wants us to understand that. When others in more privileged neighborhoods are receiving more funds and gaining more opportunities, that means more students at the poverty level are not graduating, because there is not a balance. There are, of course, other factors that contribute to whether or not an individual graduate's high school, but the argument still stands; prestigious schools in areas of more wealth are more likely to receive more funding than schools in lower-income neighborhoods. How is this possible? It does in fact, tie back to taxes in America. Wealthier areas paying more in taxes results in the allocation of more funds for their schools, while areas of poverty may pay less in local property taxes, therefore receiving less funding. Education must be funded and allocated in a way that the areas that are struggling receive more assistance, but the problem doesn't end there. There must be a reform in the curricula and representation in staff, according to Cole "... the curriculum be trickin' 'em, them dollars I spend/got us learning 'bout the heroes with the whitest of skin/". The education system is failing its students when it hires teachers they do not see themselves represented in. Imagine a young child of color who is experiencing violence at home attends a school in which they are taught by an individual with white skin who had all the advantages, who has never experienced nor taken the time to put themselves in the shoes of those who go out without the privileges they take for granted every day. As much as society may reject it, or simply be blinded by their own privilege, underrepresentation of minorities is a problem. So how exactly do we fix this problem? We educate ourselves. We put ourselves in the shoes of the disadvantaged and actively work towards a point of balance and equity.

But Cole doesn't stop there, he criticizes the curricula in schools that withhold and twist information to tell some patriotic story. He points to the power and says "...one thing about the men that's controlling the pen that write history, they always seem to white out they sins…". He references the power of the white man to paint the picture that most benefits his country and rejects the oppression of certain groups. Recall the story of Abraham Lincoln and how he was considered a hero for abolishing slavery. His views were never clear, whether he chose to abolish slavery to keep the union intact or because he believed we were all created equal, we will never know. This perspective is never discussed in early education, we believe that Lincoln was a hero because our teachers tell us. And then later we come to realize that Lincoln was a hero because it was the most convenient way for the white man to reject the failures in his countries history. Cole's purpose is, in fact, to push us to question what has long been set in stone. In an interview he mentions that these are his favorite lyrics in his entire album; he wants those who are listening truly understand what he is saying. That writing in itself is the strongest tool a person with a platform can use, in this case, it may be used negatively but it has the potential to work as satire does when it ridicules or exposes those in power. But also to realize that not all institutions were founded on the principle of equality for all, we must seek out the truth ourselves, and push for representation in our schools that teach us history without the influence of a privileged perspective.

J. Cole makes the presence of privilege in America clear throughout the entire song, and he attributes it to one of his main themes, the idea that money is power, and that social status contributes to our opportunities in life. But he believes that it is a bigger problem than privilege, it is the system as a whole, our democracy. He questions the value that voting holds, and assumes that it is useless because "Democracy is too fuckin' slow/if I'm giving yall this hard-earned bread, I wanna know/better yet, let me decide, bitch, its 2018/let me pick the things I'm funding from an app on my screen/better that than letting whack congressman I've never seen/dictate where my money goes, straight into the palms/of some money-hungry company/" He wishes that the system would reevaluate their efficiency when it comes to hearing the people's voice. He suggests that a more appropriate way to engage the public in politics would be to incorporate technology into the government. He suggests that allowing individuals whom we have never met, who are older and have different experiences in life, may not be the smartest decision. He favors a system that values the opinion of each individual and allows them easy access to make decisions that directly affect them.

"BRACKETS" is very much a satirical response to marginalization and inequality in America. As an individual who has become one of the most widely known rappers of his time, J. Cole knows the platform and power that he holds. This satirical piece is interesting, Cole is able to critique and ridicule the American system in such a graceful and calculated manner, from his own position in power. Satire is often utilized by those with less power to critique and inspire change in those that do hold the power. This was not the case for Cole, however, and it is what makes his work that much more significant. As a rapper who openly talks about inequity as a way to implement change and the founder of the Dreamville Foundation, a non profit organization that gives back to his community in Fayetteville, J. Cole is a prime example of how we can stand up for each other and actively work towards a point of balance and equity.