It's the MOST Wonderful Time of the Year!

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

12
PunchBowl

The holidays are the perfect time for friend dates, or "frates" as I like to call them! There is nothing better than spreading holiday cheer with your closest friends. As a college student, I am often looking for fun activities that won't break my bank. Here are some ideas to stay merry and bright this Christmas season with your best friends!

1. Christmas caroling.

The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear! Grab your coat and your best singing voice and spend an evening Christmas caroling. You can walk around your neighborhood, singing and spreading holiday cheer to everyone you see!

2. Christmas cookie decorating.

Grab your apron, mixing bowl, and spoon! Baking and decorating Christmas cookies is the perfect way to spend a cold winter night inside. This fairly inexpensive activity is a great way to showcase your creativity and culinary abilities.

3. Christmas movie marathon.

Spend the night watching your favorite Christmas movies! Whether it's Elf, The Grinch, or Home Alone, there is sure to be lots of fun had. Popcorn and hot cocoa would definitely make your movie marathon a hit.

4. Looking at Christmas lights.

Becoming a tourist in your own hometown is a great way to get into the Christmas spirit! You will be surprised by some of the great light displays located in your own backyard. Spend the evening riding around looking at Christmas lights. Don't forget to compliment the homeowners on their hard work as well!

5. Ice skating.

Ice skating is a fun way to exercise as well as enjoy quality time with friends! Lace up your skates and don't worry if you fall. Many ice skating rinks also offer Christmas activities, as well as student discounts.

6. Making Christmas ornaments!

Homemade Christmas ornaments make the best gifts! Let your imagination run wild and make Christmas ornaments for all of your family and friends. Christmas ornaments can be made from anything: old lightbulbs, pipe cleaners, beads, plastic bottles, and even old magazines!

7. Tacky Christmas sweater contest!

Challenge your friends to a tacky Christmas sweater contest! The winner gets bragging rights until next Christmas. Thrift stores are the best places to find Christmas sweaters. Enjoy some thrift shopping and proudly display your sweater all holiday season long!

8. Secret Santa and white elephant gift exchanges!

Spend $10 or less, or find the silliest item in your house, and have a gift exchange! White elephant gift exchanges are sure to create many laughs and unforgettable memories! Have fun sneaking around and surprising your friends with a secret Santa gift exchange. You ca also do themed gift exchanges such as holiday scarf or fuzzy sock gift exchange!

9. Snowless snowman building contest!

Have a snowman building contest! The only catch is you can't use snow. Build snowmen out of unconventional items, or items found around your house. This activity will take you back to your childhood and challenge your building skills.

10. Volunteer at a toy drive!

The best way to spread holiday cheer is to bring joy to those around you! Helping those in need in your community is a great way to get involved and make an impact. There are many volunteering opportunities around the holidays such as: toy drives, holiday meals for the homeless, and wrapping presents for those in need.