It's The Little Things That Matter In God's Plan

Sometimes they can give you a bigger perspective.

161
Odyssey

Most of us, from the time we were born, have been told that we are part of God’s plan. Yet I feel like most people don’t really understand what that means. Do we truly know? How can we get clued into this “perfect plan” we are supposed to be a part of? How can we know the right thing to do? The right thing to say? Unfortunately, we were never meant to understand everything — we aren’t capable of it.

The truth is, we don’t and we won’t. Praying to God is the only way to understand His plan for you. Yet sometimes even that seems difficult. You feel like you’re praying, asking all these questions and never getting answers… but what are you doing about it?

Being uncertain is life’s specialty. But one thing we can be certain of is God and that He is in control, even when it feels like the world is falling down around us. In the midst of your storm, He is the voice in the darkness — unfailing and constant. Yet time and time again the question arises as to what your part is in all of this. What is the “big picture” He has in mind? Why am I here?

The answer is closer than you think. Perhaps the one true thing we can do is act. In my life, especially over the last few weeks, I have learned that doing something is better than nothing. You may not know your true purpose or understand why have you been placed on this earth (other than praising God) — that’s OK, but one thing you can do is be kind.

Random acts of kindness, whether it be a smile or sharing your chocolate chips at lunch, can go a long way. You don’t have to donate a kidney to make a difference. Your actions, no matter how big or small they may be, have a larger effect. Every action has a reaction. When you are kind, more often than not, that action is passed on. You may not always realize how that small act can change someone. By showing someone kindness, you are showing them God through you.

One of my favorite phrases is, “Oh, it’s the little things.” Usually my friends use this when someone is amazed by something trivial. When it comes to God’s plan, it is the little things that matter. How can you not know how that smile completely changes someone’s day? Or how that sweet text makes them smile? Or how that hug in the hallway can make them feel loved?

When you complete random acts of kindness, you are being the hands and feet of God. You may never be able to understand God’s plan, but when you begin to show kindness, you will begin to notice that those around you will do the same. Slowly, not all at once, people around you will change and begin to show God through themselves to others.

I know some people say that the little things don’t matter — they don’t mean anything. But to me, the little things, those little acts of kindness, are the things that truly give life meaning. It’s the little things that give us a bigger perspective.