It's Summer Time

It's Summer Time

A few dos and don'ts for these warmer months

8
It's Summer Time

Summer is basically upon us, except for those few pesky days we had here in Minnesota that dropped into the 40s. As school winds down and summer jobs start, here are a few dos and don’ts for your free time.

DO drink lots of water. The summer heat will take its toll on your body, so you’ll want to keep it hydrated to avoid heat exhaustion.

DON’T go tanning before your vacation. The UV rays from tanning beds can cause minor and serious skin cancers. If you really want a nice tan before heading out to the beach try opting for a lotion or cream self-tanner, avoiding spray tanning where you could possibly inhale the tanner which is recommended to be avoided by the FDA.

DO wear sunscreen while moseying about in the sun. And don’t forget to reapply! As with tanning beds, the sun’s natural UV rays are also very damaging to skin and can cause cancer. If you’re skin is especially sensitive, like mine, consider investing in a nifty hat that will shade your forehead and ears from those bright rays.

DON’T skip a self-care day. Being an in-debt college student, it is so tempting to work as many hours as humanly possible in order to stay ahead of the debt I have accumulated through student loans. But if I don’t let myself relax and take a deep breath between long days and nights, I won’t be able to do my best when it is needed.

DO remember to have fun. Especially knowing that winter is always around the corner here in Minnesota, enjoying the sun, heat, and lack of school is a must. SO get out there, catch up with friends, work hard, and make some good memories!