It's OK To Be An Undecided College Student

At the end of the day, all that matters is your happiness.
7

Ever since middle school, you spent time preparing yourself for the next step in life. Back then, it was getting ready for high school. Once you got to high school, it was all about college, and the million set of questions followed. Questions like "Where do you want to go to school? What are you going to study?" haunted your dreams all throughout junior to senior year. If you were one of the fortunate ones, you could answer those questions without hesitation. If you are like me, these were a little harder to figure out.

I am one of the most indecisive people on the planet. Ask my friends; I am terrible at making decisions. Sometimes it can take me 30 minutes to pick out what I want to eat for a snack. So asking me to map out the next 4 years of my life before I even left high school was terrifying. I dreaded family events and getting asked those infamous questions. My stomach turned into knots, and I would begin to sweat nervously. "Ummm, I am not entirely sure yet. I'm actually declaring undecided and we'll see what happens." was usually my go-to response. If I wanted to be more specific, it would usually end up with me crying and saying that I'm a failure for not knowing what I want.

Now that some years have passed, I have come to learn a lot. Yes, I did declare undecided, and I felt so self-conscious about it. Eventually, I found a major I was interested in, then changed about two more times. And from all of this experience, all I can really say is IT IS ALL OKAY! Who cares how long it takes you to graduate; to say you graduated is so much more important to say how long it took you. And at many schools, undecided is one of the top "majors" declared my incoming freshman. And once you actually get on campus, you will find something you love and pursue it no matter how long it takes.

Now if you were in college; and you just feel like college is not for you, THAT IS OKAY TOO! School is not everyone's cup of tea, and that's totally cool. If you prefer to just start finding a job and do that; go for it! Not everyone or every job needs a college degree. Sure people say "It'll help you get a good job" but if it doesn't make you happy; don't suffer through it to please others.

At the end of the day, all that matters is your happiness. Don't do things to follow the flow, or because "this is what I was told to do." If you do not know what you want, I'm going to say it again: IT IS OKAY! Just work on finding what makes you happy, and go from there! Eventually, everything falls into place, and it doesn't have to be in your 20's. Your 20's are the years to explore and have fun. So go do that, and hopefully, you find the path that's right for you!